Selecting items on a lower layer in GFUI

I have a design that has stacked layers. When I import a PNG and some SVGs, the SVGs come in placed where I want them, but the PNGs are scaled smaller. I always start with a 12x20" template (https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kZaxaqOsaudyFKCG_xKXpiO9kAEgfsiq).

I guess I can deal with the scaling, but there doesn’t seem to be a way to select a layer behind another layer.

What I tried:

1. Change order on left panel hoping that this would change selection layering.
  2. Select the item in the left panel to activate the layer I want to move.

Neither worked. I have to move the blocking layer to get at lower layers, but this wastes all the time that I spent aligning the layers prior to this.

Am I missing a way to select layers?

That’s weird. We’ve seen that happen in the forum using JPG more than once, but I haven’t seen PNG having that problem. I’ll be interested to see what comes back from this too.

What I REALLY want is for the GFUI to handle clipping paths properly so I wouldn’t have to use PNGs, but there will always be a need to handle raster files.

Also, the layer selection issue may be true even with a set of SVG layers.

1 Like

I’m so needy today. I would also like to be able to custom label the layers in the layer panel. [Along with saving settings.] :grinning:

1 Like

I would suggest embedding your png inside the SVG so everything is aligned from the start and stays that way.

3 Likes

As long as you discriminate vector layers by color you can select them individually. If everything is black the GFUI will treat it all as one even if you have 20 different layers.

Also of note, if you have 20 different colors on one layer the GFUI will treat those separately as well. You’ll also get a message box noting you have lots of colors in your file.

2 Likes

The art was vectors originally, but had clipping masks. So I was saving the clipped areas as a PNG and importing into GFUI. I guess what you suggest is reimporting the PNGs back into AI and then saving as SVC with embedded rasters. What a circular situation. I may try this though.

What I actually did is took the time to edit the objects to make sure that none were clipping and saved as a completely vector file.

@hansepe I’ve used colors to separate the items within a file into layers. Unless I’m missing something, that still doesn’t allow me to select one set of pieces based on the color/layer. If there isn’t space to cleanly drag a selection rectangle, then I have to tediously shift-click each piece. That’s if they’re not hidden behind another item that’s being engraved. It allows me to change the cut/score/engrave settings by color though.

Might try selecting the clipped object and just Object > Rasterize. Or the clipping mask and rasterize. And then may possibly need to release clipping mask if it doesn’t automatically.

1 Like

I probably should have thrown the caveat in there that if you have some type of bounding box or shape everything in that shape will be handled as a single piece when selecting. So trying to move a shape from the center of a circle won’t work as you’ve noted. Can only print a couple of time using colors to turn on or off layers as needed so you can move things around. This does save material by nesting things, but is a PITA when getting just what I want cut and placed.

2 Likes

@sailbyc - thank you for the suggestions. For now, did @hansepe and @jbmanning get you what you need for your print to work?

Thanks for asking. Not really. They made great suggestions, but don’t solve the problem that I’m having. I have already been using color to differentiate. The issue of selecting layers would still be something that should be in the backlog in my opinion. I just work around it, which is workable at this stage.

As an addendum to the feature ask, I would add enabling Off (ignore) and On at the left panel rather than a click down. It could be similar to the Adobe Illustrator checkbox for show/hide.

1 Like

Thank you – I will pass both of your requests on to the team.

1 Like