Selling files

Hi,
I can not seem to find this answer. I made some lanyards that used Glowforge images from the + tag. If was to decide to sell those files, can I use those images?

thank you

If they were from the premium collection or purchased from the catalog yes. If they came from the Free Laser files, they are for a gift or personal use only.

3 Likes

Images you obtain by clicking the + in the interface can be sold, as I understand it.

3 Likes

Yes, and they are only available if you have premium.

2 Likes

Thank you, isn’t the only way you have premium is by paying for it? If I didn’t buy Premium, I could not have the + on the interface…right? Anyway, thank you.

Yes, that is why premium is so valuable. And there is plenty more, plus new added all the time. The plus is there but does not work the same. There is some trial stuff when you are new but not paying for premium make those things personal or gift only as well :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Per section 3.1.4 of Glowforge’s Terms of Service, you may not sell or resell any Glowforge Content (including images from the premium library). You only have permission to sell the prints (physical items) you make with that content.

The image library is licensed from the Noun Project, so if you’d like to use them in a file you’re selling, you may be able to purchase those rights here:

4 Likes

Ok, not what I was hoping for…LOL. I just made some really cute teacher lanyards on GF, I know I should have done it on Sillhouette.

In terms of design there is not a difference. The legal stuff is the same. What you “get away with” and where lies honor etc. is another story.

3 Likes

Better read the fine print in Silhouette Studio. I highly doubt you can use those images in files you’re selling. Some places will let you sell things as part of a digital file, but usually it needs to be part of a larger work where the image itself is only a small part of the design.

3 Likes

This is pretty rare, except as a result of using their software to create that result like Boxes.py. Even in cases where someone has a photo of a brick wall the fine print will still insist that you cannot sell a 3D brick wall for example that uses their brick wall in a digital form.

When Second Life changed their terms of service allowing them to hold such textures, Those who sell textures for game developers explicitly ruled out allowing any texture the sell or give away free from being used in Second Life. When getting my Glowforge I asked them by email about using their textures they replied specifically that I can use the texture to sell a final result, and I can take a photo of that result, but I cannot sell of give away a file that anyone else can make one, even if I have done a lot of work to get from their photo to what would work in 3D engraving.

Again it might be extraordinarily unlikely for a lawyer to show up at your door for a misuse of their wall photo, but at the very least you will know.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s as rare as you think. I am quite obsessive about reading the TOS and licensing agreements for various sites. There are definitely enough that allow you to use assets for digital artwork as long as they are integrated into a new piece. I wouldn’t expect Second Life to offer that, but places that are in the business of selling digital assets are more compelled to do so (not all do, of course).

1 Like

Second Life was the result that people could sell or use 3D virtual results. To do that one needs 2D assets to “paint” the 3D model. The folks like Textures.com among others sold or provided those 2D assets to the entire CG industry. Those using or selling 3D assets in the grids (of which Second Life was the original) such as my store were originally promised security that we retained “ownership” control of the 2D assets and 3D assets that others could use but not sell or modify.

Then one day they made a tiny change in their TOS that blew up everything, and while they could not change the rules on what was already acquired by me or others, all future work was banned from use on the grids. Quite aside from the two-way connection, the grid-wide conversations were always ongoing with every “dead-horse” beaten beyond soup to smashed baryons, with Tos and the very concepts of originality and ownership very high in the percentage of the total volume. That change and a couple more had a dramatic effect on what was a lively circumstance and made it a backwater that still lives but at very low population levels compared to the past…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.