Set up again

Thanks for following up. I’ve let the team know about the error message you received. We’re seeing this too, and we’re looking into it now.

Regarding the “Offline” message, @Tom_A provided some good suggestions above. If you’re still having trouble using the new router, please download and send over the .zip file at your soonest convenience, and I’ll be glad to take a closer look. Thanks in advance.

Vee

I just sent the error log. Hope it came through.

Does the Glowforge have a “memory”. When i tried a new network as i described earlier, even adding a 2.4 modem to the shop so it was 10’ from the printer it would not connect. but when i went back and started the original modem it fired right up ?? thus my question

Thank you

Only a single network is stored. The stored network configuration will persist through WiFi set up mode, etc until it’s overwritten with a new network configuration.

Is there a way to overwrite it ? The normal set up does not seem to do that

It gets overwritten when you connect to another network. The reason it didn’t for you is, for some reason, it didn’t connect to your new network. Try, for example, a hotspot on your phone and see if it connects to that.

2 Likes

I’m so sorry you ran into trouble during setup. It looks like your Glowforge is connected and you’ve ready to print! That’s great!

Could you please let me know if you’re still experiencing any problems?

Pip

It is connected, but to the old router. I have had up a new router and extended it to the shop with another router as a access point. This was to make the signal stronger. When i set this up the printer would not connect to the router(Lynksas 2.4) or to the new router(ASUS 2.4/5.) After several hours of trying i gave up and plugged new router back in up in office and glow forge connected. This is were i am at now.

I did download a zip file error log and sent to support

Might want to edit the last post for clarity.

1. It’s currently connected to the old router.
  2. Would not connect to Linksys or Asus.
  3. Gave up and plugged new router back in and it works.

Can’t really tell what’s old and what’s new or what it’s working with right now.

Thanks for following up. We received the logs you sent, but it looks like only part of the file made it over. A zip file named Logs-BGD-299-(etc).zip should download when following the instructions given previously, but we only received one of the subdirectories (bugeggs.zip). Unfortunately, we won’t be able to look into your report with the partial file. Could you please try again and let me know if you have trouble downloading the .zip file?

Additionally, I’d like some more details on the information you provided regarding the setup of network equipment. Could you please let me know the following:

1. In the network setup that the Glowforge cannot connect to, which router is connected directly to your modem, and which router (model and band) is being used as the additional access point?

2. Is the old router (which connects successfully to the Glowforge) being used as an additional access point, or is it connected directly to the modem?

3. Does the SSID you’re having trouble connecting to on the new setup match the SSID you connect to successfully using the old router?

Vee

I just sent the whole file. I assume the file is to big i tried to end and was rejected by google ???

1. In the network setup that the Glowforge cannot connect to, which router is connected directly to your modem, and which router (model and band) is being used as the additional access point? The New Router is a ASUS AC3100 and is wired to the modem. The Access point is a LINKSYS WRT54GS and its wired to the ASUS. The Access point is running to the internet perfectly as i have connected with both phone and laptop easily.(now both disconnected since i went back to old router)

2. Is the old router (which connects successfully to the Glowforge) being used as an additional access point, or is it connected directly to the modem? The Old is a NETGEAR NIGHTHAWK and was wired to the Modem. It was not being used as a access point it was a stand alone with the modem.

3. Does the SSID you’re having trouble connecting to on the new setup match the SSID you connect to successfully using the old router? I named the New Router with same SSID. The access point i did name “SHOP” which was different.

1 Like

Many thanks for following up, these details are very helpful.

When you have some time to get your new router and access point set up to try again, here are the steps I’d like you to take:

1. Turn your Glowforge off. Then turn on your Glowforge and wait until all motion has stopped for 30 seconds.

2. Hold down the button on your Glowforge for ten seconds, until it glows with a teal color.

3. Go to setup.glowforge.com and sign in.

4. Follow the instructions at setup.glowforge.com to connect your Glowforge to the “SHOP” access point.

If you run into any trouble or encounter an error message that prevents you from completing setup, please let me know how far you got in the setup process, what step you took right beforehand, and some details about what happened.

Additionally, if you’re unable to complete setup, could you please check your router settings for a feature called Smart Connect? If you’re not sure, read your router’s documentation for more information. It’s a feature used by many popular router brands like LinkSys, NetGear, and ASUS. Smart Connect works by deciding what band would provide each device on your network with the best possible connection. I’m trying to determine whether this might cause an issue.

If you have this feature, please try turning it off for a while, and see if you have the same trouble connecting and printing.

Let me know how it goes.

vee

So i did the whole set up again. GF will see the “shop” access point but will not connect. It did connect to the ASUS(new router) but the distance cause it to drop right after to connected.

I had a TP-Link Eap Outdoor access point i was going to use on a different project at work. When i set this up the GL grabbed it on the 2nd try(i think only cause had not fully booted up) it is working now. I did check smart connect on both routers and it was off. Sorry for all this confusion.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-4908_EAP110-Outdoor.html

300Mbps Wireless N Outdoor Access Point - tp-link.com

www.tp-link.com

With special design of its antenna, appearance, power options and installation methods, EAP110-Outdoor can perfectly fit for different scenarios both indoors and outdoors. EAP110-Outdoor is designed with 2 Omni-directional detachable antennas, which means other antennas can also be attached for your …

I’m glad you were able to get connected using a different access point. Thanks again for sharing the details. I’m sorry that I can’t provide a definitive reason for why the Linksys router did not support the connection to the Glowforge, but I’m confident that your unit is working properly.

I will note that the Linksys WRT54GS only offers support for 802.11b/g connections, not 802.11b/g/n. Your Glowforge requires 802.11b/g/n capability, and this may be the factor that is preventing a connection to the Linksys.

Since you’re good to go, I’m going to close this thread, but if you run into any other trouble please let us know. You can start a new thread, or email us at support@glowforge.com. Happy printing!