Set up problem

I cannot get one of the screws out of carriage for set up. One came out fine & the other will not budge. Was so excited to get going & now very disappointed. Any suggestions would be more than appreciated!

The screws exist only to secure the carriage while the machine is being shipped. Do you have any tool that you could use to persuade the bolt to give a little? Maybe vice grips or a jar opener could give you that tiny bit of help.

1 Like

Wiggle the gantry up & down a bit while trying to turn the screw. That can help break it free. Happens to me every 3 or 4 times that I pack it up to move it.

3 Likes

HI @afowler02. I’m sorry to hear that you’ve been running into some trouble with your new Glowforge as you try to set it up. I saw you mentioned one of the screws for the carriage is failing to come out. This is not an experience I ever want a fellow owner to encounter with a new printer and will be happy to help you get this sorted out.

To start, could you post any photos of the screw failing to unscrew? I can review those to see if there may be any suggestions to help address this. Along with that, can you let me know if anything that has been done already to try and get this out (ex. tried gently using pliers, inspected for potential bends or angled screw, etc). I can factor all of that into any next steps needed, and will look forward to your next post. Thank you!

I have not been able to remove it and I’m waiting for my husband to return this weekend. I will let you know then if we successfully removed the screw.
Thank you!

Hi @afowler02. I appreciate the follow up and will go ahead and keep this thread open. I’ll look forward to any updates! Thank you.

The bolt has been removed…he used an allen wrench in the end of it and it loosened right up.
Thank you!

Yay, that’s great news! Thank you for the update. I wanted to follow up to make sure you’re able to get through the rest of set-up. Feel free to let me know if all good now, and I can close this support thread. Thank you!

Yes! All is good!
Thank you

Thank you for letting us know! I’m going to close this thread. If you run into any other trouble, please start a new topic, or email us at support@glowforge.com. We’re here to help!