Setting Up the Glowforge Vent

I didn’t mean to imply you would actually have to separate the units but thanks for clarifying. I believe you are correct.

here is some exchange about this:

[quote=“dan, post:41, topic:626”]
Correct.[/quote]

5 Likes

Vent on the back of the GF.

No filter on-site at Maker Faire to check it out… I think. I’ll run back through and make sure.

6 Likes

What are you guys brainstorming for a design - without using passthrough?

I’ve got one on the backburner which I’ll have to fine-tune when I get my 'forge… but it just relies on a standard automotive filter and raw carbon.

http://community.glowforge.com/t/sketching-out-a-diy-filter/1492

The advice here is spot on - you can use either the filter or external exhaust. Ideally you could have both and choose whichever worked best.

We will notify you in the UI if the filter needs to be changed. In the hopper is emailing you as well.

11 Likes

I was just curious since a standard single hang window is a 2020 (24"x24"), meaning construction something 24"/23.5" wide.

Most of the window-based screens/filters/birdfeeders/etc I’ve used have the main part and then adjustable side panels.

Looks like another great exposure for Glowforge. To all of the glowfolk who gave up their weekend, well done!
Regret not being able to attend.

I’m curious how does the machine sense the filter needs replacement?

2 Likes

You could do a 4 panel approach with some fancy joinery techniques to show off with.

Or if you just want quick and done, simple joinery. Make some molding style covers to place over the joins and keep the window more airtight even.

Will it give some warning ahead of time, or failing that, still allow use for some time after said warning, to allow us to continue using it while we await the new filters?

1 Like

Completely a guess but probably similar to the filter change notification in a furnace controller. Operating time. Might add a fancy algorithm in the cloud. Lots of more accurate ways to do it but why over-design with local sensors?

3 Likes

Some pics below of what my (ever-so-clever) hubs came up with for our venting solution.

We have the optional filter on order, but if the hose works better, we want to be ready to vent out the window.

We can’t keep the window propped open all the time, with a small board that the vent runs through (my original idea) because of the way the security system is wired.

So he came up with the idea of replacing one of the small bottom panes of glass in the window with plexiglass. That and a few screws, and a quick connect to make it easy to attach and detach the hose when it’s not being used, and we’re all set!

We’ll remove a pane of glass hidden down behind a bush, and no one will ever see it from the street.

It’s messy at the moment, but I’ll clean up all of the extra silicone caulk that he smeared all over the pane before he installs it. (He’s clever as a bug, but not the neatest in execution. ROFL!)

Ironic thing is - once the laser arrives it could be used it to cut the hole for the vent cap and drill the screw holes without having to resort to messy swarf-generating methods.:stuck_out_tongue:

Picked a low profile vent cap for the outside:

22 Likes

FWIW, plex is usually harder to break than glass, so if you set that piece in there properly you’re even more secure. (And you could put some hardware cloth across the opening if you’re paranoid…)

2 Likes

More concerned about lizards getting in than peeps. (The panel is too small for a normal sized person to fit through…guess I’d need to watch for child burglars.) :smile:

5 Likes

Here’s another possibility I just bumped into: an adjustable window dryer vent kit. Seems a bit pricey ($60), so I might just cut my own with the Glowforge.

7 Likes

I’ll be making one from 2" foam insulation to fit in the window opening. It gets a little chili in MN in January.

3 Likes

Yeah, that was what I was originally planning to do. Easiest!

1 Like

This is the one I bought, as I needed to get my venting into a narrow area to get up and out a window. I’m hoping it will work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KKKGJ0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 Likes

Looks like some negative reviews mentioned the welds had tiny holes (not air tight). You may want to aluminum tape the seam to be sure - dryer air escaping is not as much of a deal as smells escaping when lasering…

4 Likes