Settings for anodized aluminum

Can somebody help me with the settings to engrave a photo of a person on anodized aluminum? It will be small so I need as many details as possible. I have tried to get help on FB but nobody responds. I would be willing to pay somebody to get on and walk me through Image_r to prepare the photo for engraving. I have a hard time believing nobody knows how to do this.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Kathy

You may want to remove your email address as this forum is public and leaving it in your post could bring you some unwanted attention.
I have engraved anodized aluminum many times, but never a photograph. Photographs can be a bit tricky, no matter what material you’re using. Although I have no suggestions, perhaps someone else here might be able to help you. Best of luck.

4 Likes

Try the search engine here. There are lots of results covering photo engraving as well as anodized metal.

3 Likes

If you were to post your image here, I’ll bet help will come.
In that application there will be limited opportunity for shading, so an image reduced to ‘black and white’ will probably be your best bet, similar to my avatar.

1 Like

Thank you, I will try that again. I didn’t get any responses a couple of days ago. I know its on the difficult side.
Thanks for responding, it really means a lot.

2 Likes

You can play with ‘convert to dots’, which is technically the same as the halftone process that’s been used in print media for decades.

The drawback is that you will lose fine detail, so lots of experimentation will be needed to determine what works with your image to your satisfaction.

3 Likes

If you can adjust the image to be completely black and white, like a line drawing or single color logo, and be happy with it - that will work well on anodized aluminum. Grayscale will be tough at small size, it’s just the nature of the material. You’ll need some kind of image editing software - what are you using? (In Photoshop for example, the first filter I’d try is Posterize with the number of colors set to 2)

1 Like

I’m thinking this is an application where the image should be inverted (change black to white and vice versa) to look right on anodized aluminum, am I right? I haven’t tried this so I might be all wet here.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your help. I appreciate your response more than you know.

Kathy

I will definately experiment with this.

Kathy

1 Like

I will definately try some of the things suggested.

Kathy

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.