Settings for Cutting/Scoring Corrugated Cardboard

Same… I went back to a sharp box cutter.

2 Likes

I’ve tried 500 and 45 with some cardboard in my garage. Worked ok. I’ll measure and send info again later once I know thickness

I still use mine, when I can find it. It seems to like to get lost. I like that I can use it while standing, away from a flat surface, with no fear of slicing myself.

2 Likes

I use mine to tear down all of the Amazon boxes I tend to accumulate so the can fit into the recycle bin. Tons faster and safer (for me) than using a box cutter.

2 Likes

Thank you for posting this, I tried these settings and it worked perfectly with an Amazon box. 0.01" thickness.

1 Like

Settings listed here are a bit confusing. Shouldn’t speed always be first? Speed/Power since that is how it is in the GFUI.

I just cut some cardboard using the settings in the original (updated) post above… PERFECT result! But some of the replies are confusing… they seem to have power first. Some are obvious, since power only goes to 100… 500/45 is clearly speed/power… With 100/130 (clearly power/speed) thrown in the thread… suddenly 80/50 is not quite so clear…

Perhaps I am missing something?

Yes, everyone needs to read the first post in the thread. This is an old thread that dates back to a time before the current settings. Anything except the writeup in the first post, which I came back and updated after the change, is incorrect and can cause a fire.

4 Likes

For sure… I stopped a cut that looked like was going to ignite. I was testing out kerf for a joint…using cut settings which can result in more burning. On the left of the photo were the initial settings which were a bit strong…the two middle didn’t quite make it through the cardboard…the others were perfect with no scorching what so ever, even interior corners

These were boxes from amazon
Speed 190
Power 45
1 pass
Focus 1.3

I had maple plywood selected ast the material but with the manual settings above

6 Likes

Do you mean Focus 0.13? (I had luck with 190/60 0.15)

yup… focus 1.3

1 Like

oops… what a dope! 0.13 … sincerest apologies!

2 Likes

I have been using 0.0625" (1/16") cardboard from Flipside Products with good result.

Set the material thickness manually to 0.070"
speed/power 180/64 makes for a nice clean cut.

This is a nice balance since too much power causes charring. Too slow speed causes FIRE!
Ask me how I know. Also keep those lenses clean.

2 Likes

I found some on Amazon last month that are the perfect size. They were less than $15, the tops and bottom layers got a bit of damage from the straps. But very handy for prototyping.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074PBH5J7

4 Likes

I got some of this too – saves a lot of box-cutting time!

1 Like

Whoa! The price has jumped. I think I priced similar material at office supply stores…
Still not as cheap, but available.

https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/519254/Office-Depot-Brand-Corrugated-Sheets-20/

1 Like

I just noticed the price jump as well. Thanks for the alternate source.

2 Likes

Ignore this.

4 Likes

I can’t

3 Likes

So I was trying to answer a question on a different thread, but had jumped to this one to copy the link, then my answer appeared here and I couldn’t delete it (didn’t take the time to figure it out) so I said ignore and now look where we are.

8 Likes

That’s how they getcha! :smile:

6 Likes