Settings for Cutting/Scoring Corrugated Cardboard

Document any carton damage with your phone camera - with the truck in the frame. License plate in there too if you can.

3 Likes

Okay Final Answer:

After further testing and tweaking:

For corrugated cardboard (specifically ULine 0.15 inches thick.)

See the first post up top.

The other settings worked fine on thinner cardboard, but this batch runs a little faster.

12 Likes

Looking in my notebook I see 100/150 for cutting amazon. 100/125 for cutting the white-on-one-side corrugated we have a bunch of. 15/197 for scoring that, 10/335 for an engrave that takes off the white coating.

And the 15/197 leaves a bunch of holes on the corners.

6 Likes

That or, StressRelief™ - don’t have to put those dog bone corner thingies in!

2 Likes

Sounds like we learned that cardboard is a PITA. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

LOL. Nice to see we’ve all agreed on settings! :smiley:

I’m open to tweaking mine more, I was impressed how clean it came out on only the 3rd try (first try was extra crispy, second was “well done” and third got written down).

4 Likes

My U-Haul moving boxes respond pretty well to @Jules U-line settings.
I am adding my satisfactory engraving settings here.

For a .14" corrugated U-Haul moving box in decent condition used once, the settings are:

Cut: 180/60
Score: 246/30
Engrave: 605/11

14 Likes

The new settings are @#$%^& me off. I am still creeping up on the things that used to work. :frowning:

2 Likes

Did you convert using that formula? Mine are all getting pretty good results.

2 Likes

Yeah, just something is off. I’ve got stuff in Excel and just ran a formula to convert all. I thought I had it last night, only to turn over a piece of cardboard and find it hadn’t made it through.

i’m mostly just being hard headed and it’ll come along soon :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That was happening to me with cardboard before the switch too. I think it’s just cardboard.

Maybe we need some of that artisinal kneejerk kind. :smile:

2 Likes

Hopefully that will be in the store when I order my next “draft” material :slight_smile:
(I really dislike the real name that won’t be used here)

4 Likes

I hear 'ya. :smile:

1 Like

Instead of, “He who must not be named.” It’s, “It, which must not be named.” (AKA, Lord Draftboard). O crap! I said the name :smile:

4 Likes

Anyone got settings for Amazon boxes? I’ve been saving some of my larger ones and cutting them down for when my Glowforge comes in this March.

First post in the thread. :smile:

2 Likes

I’ve been using the same values for the Amazon boxes without any issues.

2 Likes

I had a few large sheets I needed to cut down to 12x20.
The Table saw and sliding compound miter saw worked really well.
A lot faster and neater than the utility knife.

2 Likes

And another idea for cutting down cardboard there’s this post from about a year ago:

Nyeck! It’s too slow. I got that and its a heck of a lot quicker to use a box cutter on it.

Save some money. :smile:

4 Likes