Settings for engraving on cooked pancakes needed within 6 weeks

Might not want to pour the batter directly into the GF. A spatula won’t slide across the honeycomb properly.

21 Likes

Jeez, wish you had posted this earlier.

Aside from pancakes, I did spend a whole day working with cookies. I figured that they wouldn’t call it a crumb tray if they didn’t want crumbs.

Tried many different types, turns out that Anna’s Thins worked best for me. Most of the others had too uneven a surface or were too tall without removing the crumb tray. The Anna’s Thins turned out pretty well and are big enough to hold a detailed logo and writing.

One interesting thing I found was that after lasering, I tried them and kept thinking I detected a “burnt” taste. But when I had others try them “blind”, they were unanimous and adamant in not tasting anything out of the ordinary. I really think it was just my imagination.

7 Likes

Thank you all for the very insightful feedback!
I’m thinking that just modifying the images and then making simple vectorized art will suffice. The GF should run fast and low power, so as not to cut.
The interior laser area will be cleaned of dust from any preliminary cut testing. I have this idea to put some paper over the tray and place the pancakes on top of the paper, with the idea that there would be less of a chance for contaminants to adhere to the food.

I was thinking of just using cooked pancakes, not the batter. I am not sure how that would work, selectively cooking pancake batter? The areas outside of the beam would remain batter. I wouldn’t want to clean up after that either. But I like reading about different ideas, so thank you!

I hear the proof grade pancakes are a bit bland and stale, but they cut and engrave well, with the food grade masking being just a bit difficult to weed.

8 Likes

Also, if you intend to stain your Proofgrade Pancakes, you should be using the Proofgrade food coloring. It’s the only one they can honor to give you accurate results, as third party coloring cannot be guaranteed.

8 Likes

It’s the proof grade syrup that is really pricey. I hear it’s more expensive than Inkjet ink.

5 Likes

Proofgrade Pro-Foods: Where the Proofgrade is the Pudding

6 Likes

Ya know I was joking, right?

4 Likes

For a moment I thought you were joking, but tried to err on the diplomatic side.

2 Likes

So more expensive than proof grade blood? My Vampire friends will be sad about that.

1 Like

@rpegg has got a very dry, occasionally quirky, sense of humor that we all love! :smile:

6 Likes

I totally appreciate his humor. I don’t say even half of the crazy stuff I think. Maybe, the use of emojis would be a good way to get across sarcasm and what not? I’ve found that people generally don’t get ridiculous humor, so I use emojis to get the point across that I don’t actually believe what I am saying. RPEGG seems like a generally good person, very informative and considerate by the way.

3 Likes

Chuckle! I don’t believe I’ve ever seen @rpegg use an emoji. The earth might shift. :smile:

There is a legend that he cracked a smile once, when he was selected to receive a Glowforge PRU and it arrived…I need to see if I can find that video evidence…

3 Likes

Doesn’t that legend also include extreme disruptions to the natural order around the world?

1 Like

Here it is…I knew I’d put it in one of the Weekly Highlights summaries:

:wink:

2 Likes

I don’t remember what settings we used on these:

but it’s definitely do-able. :slight_smile: The settings will be the same for Basic and Pro - precision settings are the same; only full power is different.

5 Likes

Thank you to every one who has commented and advised on this thread!
I think that I will try some of the recommended settings on “pre-cooked pancakes” (thank you @rpegg for your humor), and will proceed to experimenting a bit to get the settings with the intent to share those of course.

2 Likes

Pretty sure that this is the first time I have heard this little tidbit of info. Should make it easier to share custom settings.

From the context I know you understand… But to add clarity for those that may not have followed the development; precision settings for cut and engrave are the same between the Basic and Pro version of the GF. You can comfortably share manual settings between the two units. However the “full power” cut setting is different between the two, with the Pro having a little more power.

2 Likes