Sewing machine “quilting”

Uploading… Uploading… Uploading… Uploading… Uploading… Uploading… Uploading… Uploading…
I was given an old sewing machine table in need of some TLC and I needed a new vanity, so I thought that I would make a “quilted” top, as I am a quilter. I used proofgrade veneer in maple, cherry and walnut attached to 3/4 “ plywood and wrapped a frame of black walnut around it. Finished with tung oil glossy finish.

10 Likes

Photos did not upload, but I believe I saw it on FaceBook and it is absolutely beautiful. Please get the photos up here so all can see.

2 Likes

81 Likes

It really is stunning! Thanks for the in-process shots.

2 Likes

Thanks for letting me know!

Wow, that is amazing! Must have been fun to put together, and what a wonderful heirloom item that it makes.

2 Likes

Really nice. Thanks for sharing

2 Likes

One of the coolest tables (and the MOST appropriate) ‘Singer’ table I’ve seen! Great work!

3 Likes

Beautiful!

1 Like

Oh, damn! So glad you got the pics to upload. That’s incredible!

3 Likes

We got the same singer base many years ago, well before GF, and put a granite slab on it.

2 Likes

You need to swap it out for one of these. Then you can put the granite slab under your GF. :wink:

2 Likes

Ka-Wow!

1 Like

Stunning.

1 Like

What a great addition to a wonder piece of furniture. Beautiful design. I have two working machines. Two different grandmothers. Need to find the leather “ropes” used to make them work. Gave one to my Daughter-in-law. They were apparently sewing geeks, have more attachments and instructions than I could learn to use. Was keeping because I was told that’s what the Leather workers used because they were indestructible.

4 Likes

Wowzers, that’s gorgeous! Great retro-mod!

3 Likes

Seems rather redundant now as already said–but WOW!!! Gorgeous. Congrats!!

2 Likes

If only there were some sort of machine that would let you cut long, perfectly consistent width strips of leather so you could make your own replacements!

:wink:

8 Likes

That’s cool. There is so much history in restoring things and reusing them- they were workhorses those machines.

1 Like

An amazing top for your cabinet!!! Simply beautiful!!

1 Like