Shadow box coasters

Wow - beautiful and so clever! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I thought the same thing. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you. They are amazing!

1 Like

Nice! Some time ago I made a three-layer acrylic shadowbox but used scoring. Your engraving is the way to go. I lit each layer with LED’s ground down to the thickness of the acrylic to get good optical isolation between layers. Different colors were used for each layer.
Question: For engraving, is it possible to have the engrave depth vary linearly with height of the pattern? This could make illumination more uniform bottom-to-top. How to do this?

1 Like

These are so lovely! Fantastic job and creativity!

1 Like

Thank you!

Good question I guess if you used a gradient fill instead of a solid black fill it would vary in depth. Go from 100% to 30% and you will have deeper engrave on the 100 with a slight engrave at the 30. Haven’t tried it, but now I want to. LOL

1 Like

I did a slightly different take on this. I used my brother’s logo as the basis for the coasters, but I only did 3 layers of clear acrylic with a solid yellow coaster for a splash of color! Unfortunately I didn’t realize the clear acrylic I used was a thicker cut and the coasters were hard to get in and kinda stuck now. I will have to use a thinner acrylic next time. One is scored the other is engraved. I prefer the engraved one. Sorry for the horrible photos. Thank you arh2 for the base idea.

8 Likes

They look great! I love the idea of the solid color behind. I did one iteration of the coaster holder with a solid backplate but the wood was too dark and the coasters lost some of the look. Working on a new base with LEDs under it to light them up. Thank you for sharing your great design!!! Love the logo!

3 Likes

Thank you for the design! <3

I’m thinking of putting a moon on the 4th one, we’ll see :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Ha! I’m working on a 4 sea scene set as well, but need to order some more acrylic before I can finish…

1 Like

I messed with the water a lot and ended with the slowly thickening waves looking best. I’ll be interested to see how yours go!

1 Like

yes the gradient is the way to go. I saw that mentioned someplace around here.

a search for edge lit gradient or some such might get you there.

That looks great!

Thanks so much for the inspiration!!!

13 Likes

That is Spectacular!!! Wow!

2 Likes

Newby here! This is beautiful. I want to figure this out.

2 Likes

Have you seen this? @designvh619 graciously provided the file.

2 Likes

Oh, wow! I really love them! The concept! The result!

1 Like

Yeah, sure. I’ve done it. It’s not perfect, but it definitely helps!

1 Like