Shadow box coasters

OMG, those are fantastic. I love the idea and the execution!!!:heart::heart::heart:

3 Likes

If those were mine I’d leave them in the box all the time so the scene would show – so there wouldn’t be any wear and tear. :wink:

9 Likes

Wow, innovative and amazing! Love it!

3 Likes

Thanks! It looks very different in the box/holder. I will post pics later.

1 Like

This would be lovely as an LED display.

8 Likes

Love this so much!

3 Likes

Welcome @widgetsnwangdoodles! You certainly have an interesting handle!

3 Likes

That is really nice. I am 100% stealing this concept. I already have a couple ideas in mind. Thank you for posting this!
As far as the durability question… I actually have my coffee cup sitting on a clear 1/4 acrylic coaster right now. It’s definitely durable enough for occasional use. I can imagine something like this being great for seasonal or special occasion decorating.
The main downside with the clear coasters is that they really show fingerprints and smudges.

2 Likes

Thanks! You are right they do show fingerprints and smudges. I was thinking the same about special occasion decorating.

This is gorgeous! How did you get such a clean engrave on acrylic?

Thank you!

I just used the factory settings for medium clear acrylic. I also make sure that when I export the svg that I use full black and I set the raster settings to 540. I do all my images in illustrator. I’ve never had an issue with bad engraving.

9 Likes

wow. I will check my settings in illustrator… my acrylic looks nothing like that!!

1 Like

I always do my drawings full CMYK I’ve noticed that when I use just black it doesn’t dig as deep.

1 Like

Also, I have the coasters and holder up on the free design thread if you want them.

4 Likes

Do you use SD or HD format?

Believe it or not, it is set to draft photo. :blush:

3 Likes

My experience in the sign shop using AI, and our Mutoh CMYK printer, is that AI default full black is actually a grey. If you’re using vectors then the engraving won’t matter what color it’s set to when you bring it into the GFUI. Though if you’re turning into a raster image then yes that default AI full black will make a slightly lighter cut do to the “full black” the GFUI is looking for in the greyscale range.

The draft setting also makes it lighter than the other due to speed, power, and LPI

@WelcomeHomeCustom those could be some explanations :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Did you sand the edges of the coasters? Or do something to round the cut edges?

1 Like

No, they came out perfectly smooth right off the cut.

1 Like

Clever!! I love it!!

1 Like