Shadow box coasters

Depends on your type of acrylic. Cast engraves beautifully. Extruded, not so much.

3 Likes

You could even make a box for them that has another layer on the front. Similar to the meeple coasters we’ve seen before.

The possibilities are endless. Never saw them, thanks for sharing. Pretty cool.

Wow - beautiful and so clever! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I thought the same thing. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you. They are amazing!

1 Like

Nice! Some time ago I made a three-layer acrylic shadowbox but used scoring. Your engraving is the way to go. I lit each layer with LED’s ground down to the thickness of the acrylic to get good optical isolation between layers. Different colors were used for each layer.
Question: For engraving, is it possible to have the engrave depth vary linearly with height of the pattern? This could make illumination more uniform bottom-to-top. How to do this?

1 Like

These are so lovely! Fantastic job and creativity!

1 Like

Thank you!

Good question I guess if you used a gradient fill instead of a solid black fill it would vary in depth. Go from 100% to 30% and you will have deeper engrave on the 100 with a slight engrave at the 30. Haven’t tried it, but now I want to. LOL

1 Like

I did a slightly different take on this. I used my brother’s logo as the basis for the coasters, but I only did 3 layers of clear acrylic with a solid yellow coaster for a splash of color! Unfortunately I didn’t realize the clear acrylic I used was a thicker cut and the coasters were hard to get in and kinda stuck now. I will have to use a thinner acrylic next time. One is scored the other is engraved. I prefer the engraved one. Sorry for the horrible photos. Thank you arh2 for the base idea.

10 Likes

They look great! I love the idea of the solid color behind. I did one iteration of the coaster holder with a solid backplate but the wood was too dark and the coasters lost some of the look. Working on a new base with LEDs under it to light them up. Thank you for sharing your great design!!! Love the logo!

3 Likes

Thank you for the design! <3

I’m thinking of putting a moon on the 4th one, we’ll see :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Ha! I’m working on a 4 sea scene set as well, but need to order some more acrylic before I can finish…

1 Like

I messed with the water a lot and ended with the slowly thickening waves looking best. I’ll be interested to see how yours go!

1 Like

yes the gradient is the way to go. I saw that mentioned someplace around here.

a search for edge lit gradient or some such might get you there.

That looks great!

Thanks so much for the inspiration!!!

20 Likes

That is Spectacular!!! Wow!

2 Likes

Newby here! This is beautiful. I want to figure this out.

2 Likes