Shadow box lamps - on my to do list

I thought the same thing.
The prominence of the finger joints in boxes detract from the appearance IMO, and if you can’t hide it - accentuate it.

8 Likes

The effect is magical, but is it photoshopped? Or would the design really project that crisp in a room that big?

3 Likes

Good thought…good question

1 Like

I don’t doubt that it’s possible, but I doubt that anything that bright to cast a shadow that clear will be able to last long without setting fire to the wood box.

3 Likes

It seems the projection is obscured by an overly dark chair piece on the right. But I also don’t see it as particularly crisp. You can see it’s projection on the couch to the left and up in the picture. So maybe my mind is just misinterpreting.

2 Likes

I agree that the photo may be doctored a bit, but I think the shadow on the wall is real. There are some very bright tiny white LEDs (maybe 1/10" dia or so) that will give a good sharp shadow.

I use the red and green varieties to cast 3D shadows with my “3D Shadow Lamp

6 Likes

I have a design similar to the tree that I was debating on what it should be used for. This is the perfect idea!

3 Likes

adds to list
DAN! I’m going to need more wood!

6 Likes

The cuts are thin enough that it certainly could project, what I would like to see is the light source. I think the photo was enhanced a bit, but I don’t think it was faked (could be wrong). Most little tea lights wouldn’t cast anywhere near enough light, and too large of a bulb and I think it would blur the projection too much.

That’s not photoshopped. They can look that “crisp”.

1 Like

What would be fun is to vane the top and make the enclosure a balanced shade out of slightly thinner wood —and with an incandescent bulb it would slowly rotate.

7 Likes

I like it! Adds a whole new dimension to hand shadow shows of dogs, rabbits and doves etc. Has me wondering what the professional shadow players of S.E.Asia could do with that system.

2 Likes

What if the lampshade was balanced on a center point so it could rotate ( with just a slight touch) or move/wobble a bit. (Like a hollow pyramid on a stick) At least the point that is balancing is like the pyramid . Would make moving patterns on the wall (disco-ish effect).

4 Likes

Very cool!

You’ll want to find as small/bright of a light as you can find. As close to a “point source” as possible. Multi-watt LED emitters (from Cree, for instance) would probably be a good way to go.

I had a longer post written, but I see that @fan-of-glowforge’s project basically shows what you’d need to do (just use a single white LED instead (well, assuming you want to have white silhouettes)).

2 Likes

Awesome. This is very much in line with many ideas I have!

Reminded me if this large lasercut piece. Not sure if this has been shared before on the forum: http://thecreatorsproject.vice.com/en_uk/blog/laser-cut-sculpture-casts-intricate-prize-winning-shadows

11 Likes

That is awesome!

1 Like

I’ve done many tests with this kind of stuff per this lantern project:

It is mostly about having a clear light source with little distortion (so the less diffusion, the brighter/crisper the image)

For my project I am using 0.5w 8mm strawhat LED’s- they have a nice wide angle, but they probably would not have the kind of brightness/throw you’d want.

As folks have stated above, there are many newer / brighter LED’s (3w SMD’s) You could try if you want to stay battery powered (you would probably need to get into heat sinks) or just clear incandescent bulbs might be nice for a wall-plug scenario.

6 Likes

Oh yeah! Now do two colored translucent shades, nested, and have them spin in opposi-- ((BLARGH!))

Nevermind. Too far.