She's got her own name tag!

My glowforge’s name is Fancy Schmancy. I finally got around to printing out a name tag for her.

Used this polyester sticker paper.
Waterproof Polyester Sticker Paper, 8.5 x 11 Full Sheet Label, 25 Sheets, Laser Printer, Online Labels Amazon.com

I printed a really colorful background into the sticker paper first with my laserjet printer and then cut out the letters.

Speed 500, power 80, manual hight 0 inches.

31 Likes

Non-referrer link here:

Non-tracking link here:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CND8WLJ/

7 Likes

Going to move your post over to Beyond the Manual which is the only place we’re allowed to show or discuss settings.

8 Likes

The link in the original post isn’t a referral/affiliate/associates link either, just shortened.

4 Likes

It’s nice to be called by your name. I hope Fancy Schmancy is a good partner for you. Mine’s name is Glowy LaForge or just Glowy for short. :smiley:

8 Likes

Hmm you know what, you might be right. The shortened link expands to:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CND8WLJ/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_D6MBYBS4WQVSFJPX61DR_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

And the “ref” portion is their internal tracking to determine how you arrived at that page. Looks like the “tag” variable is what makes it a referral. I’ll edit my reply above.

The More You Know GIFs | Tenor

Source for Amazon link structure info: https://www.reddit.com/r/AnimeDeals/comments/91ehlq/psa_if_an_amazon_url_has_ref_in_it_that_is_not_a/

4 Likes

I never click on “shortened” links for any site, and for AZ stuff I only select the part that includes the product ID (in this case - B07CND8WLJ)

That said, this product looks promising to expand my vehicle decal endeavors. To-date, I cut CF-textured vinyl on my Cricut.

7 Likes

Good policy. I took one for the team here. I don’t even like that discourse puts URLs behind a preview when you paste them in, I wish it would just show the url. As it is I have to mouseover, look at the url in the bottom of the browser, and then make a decision.

5 Likes

Sorry, first time posting on here :blush:
I just grabbed the “share” link from the item in the Amazon app.

6 Likes

I have a couple of virtual linux machine images that I boot from new every time when I need to check out stuff I am unsure of. I’ve worked in IT Security since the 90’s.

3 Likes

Oh no worries at all, I’m just paranoid. Like eflyguy I also worked in internet security for a while so I am a bit paranoid about links.

Post more! I like the name sticker, at first I thought it was mirrored… I guess it’s printed?

2 Likes

Yes, I printed a colorful picture onto the sticker paper first and then cut out the letters on my glowforge. Here is the picture I used for color.

8 Likes

Ah, a really cool result.

1 Like

My sister also asked me to print a name tag for her robot vacuum. I did this one a little different by printing the text with color and then cutting it out with an outline. here are the results! Lol

5 Likes

That’s a cool approach! I also thought it was mirrored.

1 Like

You did nothing wrong. I don’t know what people are afraid of clicking on an Amazon link that might let Amazon know you… clicked on an Amazon link. It’s obviously only one step away from all of us being harvested and turned into battery arrays to keep Jeff Bezos immortal.

[Edit: I don’t know why I woke up sarcastic this morning. Leaving this up because I like my Matrix joke, but I hope it’s not too mean-spirited. Everyone’s welcome to protect their privacy in any ways they want.]

7 Likes

For me, working in IT security, I’m kind of a little bit concerned at how our activity is harvested and sold.

The worst example is a year or more ago I was participating in a discussion about a certain shot in the movie Quigley Down Under (where he shoots the bucket out on a hill.) The site, firearms related, is secure - https and all that. A day or so later I opened Netflix on my TV, and guess which movie was the top recommendation.

I have completely abandoned social media of any kind, with the exception of having to maintain a failbook account because that’s the only official way the US Army communicates with family of those in-service. That’s the only thing I look for, and do not post/participate there.

Oh, and I did figure out how Netflix got the info to make that movie recommendation. It’s probably outside the scope of this discussion.

3 Likes

Great movie; now I want to watch it again. Maybe Netflix will recommend it for me also now :wink:

3 Likes

If I could remember which forum the discussion was on, all you would have to do is click on that thread and it would be picked up. Depends on your ISP, though, as to whether that would be sold on and harvested by Netflix and others…

1 Like

I thought about needing to order more smart bulbs the other day and then my Facebook feed showed ads for them. Does that mean are monitoring my brain? :rofl:

3 Likes