Shipping date on glowforge.com/account

After all this time and waiting it makes me wonder if Glowforge shouldn’t have offered a Pro when they couldn’t even get a basic machine produced within a reasonable timeframe. They should also just close down the online ordering until they are actually ready.

Yes - we’ll spend an immense amount of additional money on extras because of the delay.

For those who want to experience this with a smile (kind of).

2 Likes

How about a percentage discount on the machines. Including the ones that have already shipped. Getting credit at your store is pretty useless considering people, like myself, have been basing paid projects on your bad delivery information. Now that I know I have to wait another 8 months for my machine that costs me a lot of more lost income. Getting some supplies and vectors from your store in June will never replace that.

@Dan, your banner says Pro day 10 and I have no email for a Pro day 7. Getting ahead of yourself or mistake?

(Update) email finally arrived

So actually the answer to the question is “No, no we don’t plan on doing anything additional for those people that still won’t have have their glowforge by the most recent promised deadline” given that the question is what additional recompense would those of us still being left hanging get. 60 dollars more in store credit is not doing anything additional… it keeping your promise from the last failed deadline… Not addressing this most recent failure.

This reminds me of things i teach my son (who is now 11 and won’t be getting the custom made card box / holder that he asked for for his birthday which is in 7 weeks and I told him that i should easily be able to make that since the glowforge is finally coming. Thanks for that Dan, now not only are you and your company a liars, but I am as well)… Anyway it reminds me of things I taught my son, and one of them would be that his apologies are worthless if he turns around and does the same thing again… and so that if he is going to apologize for things he does that are wrong then he should damn well not do those things again.

2 Likes

I think a new social media hashtag is called for, #glowforgefailedagain has a nice ring to it. Maybe weekly posting on social media of your choice if you are unhappy about being hung out to dry yet again with nothing by way of apology other than the same empty words and another 20 dollars a month in store credit.

2 Likes

Heh - yep. another life lesson for him and me to share.

I live in the states and I know there are numerous places i can send designs off to and I frequent a couple of maker spaces as well. It’s just bloody inconvenient because I am really busy this time of year and they are both across town and as you could expect laser use time is highly sought after.

Not too bad? Over a two year of lies and broken promises? This company and leadership are nothing but liars and incompetent business people. And that is being nice. You are a much more patient and forgiving person than I am.

2 Likes

Do you have the files?

Just a basic box design at the moment as it was going to be our learn to use the glowforge project and we were going to do the box lid engraving art together since he hasn’t yet decided what he wants that part to look like. The glowforge showing up was going to be his nudge to make up his mind on what designs he wants so it can be ready for him. I suppose him and I could work on them this coming week when he is back over here and try to finalize things, although as i said it was also to be a learning project so I don’t know how spot on even the the initial box design was going to be.

@dan
Please please don’t become a Julie Uhrman (of OUYA fame).
Delays and frustrations aside… you need to make good on your word.
Get the orders to those who ordered even just Basics.
Yes there is less profit or maybe even a loss, especially to international customers like myself.
We believed and supported you, I purchased your book before you even gave it away for free.
My one referral was to a Stanford lab that’s used for programs in teaching kids about fabrication.

Now it just feels like you want people who ordered the Basic version and especially the international one to cancel their orders because it’s not worth it to you.

It’s not just the delay that is frustrating… it’s seeing and hearing you lose enthusiasm and coming across as just not caring anymore.

This would rank right up there with Elon making an announcement that he’s giving up on Space X or shutting down Tesla.

Chin up!

3 Likes

So it sounds like you want your machine prioritized over the Pro?

I hate that I agree with this comment.

2 Likes

I ordered 10-19-15 and my ship date is 10-26-17. Still tack on the possible 6 weeks to that date but after waiting 2 years I am not going to back out now. I also upgraded to a Pro a while back. I know units are shipping, and people are doing incredible things with them. I cannot wait to get forging!

3 Likes

No I want the 30 day preorders to take priority over those who ordered
after the campaign.

5 Likes

@Dan - I thought those that ordered the basic unit during the 30 day campaign would have their unit ship before 10/31/17 ??? The BS is getting real old
Glowforge Basic, Ordered 10-23-2015, Estimated Shipping Notification Date Jan 16, 2018

2 Likes

The current weighting of the production line to Pros does not mean that they aren’t making Basics. It just means that they are making more Pros than Basics. They’ve been delivering units for a while now, and up until about a month ago the production wasn’t just weighted towards basics, it was solely basics. They are just catching up the Pro orders now that they are producing them. Notice that basic orders are on Day 15 and Pro ordres are on Day 10… so there is still a 5-day gap between the two. I know what you’re feeling, but imagine what the people who ordered Day 1 Pros felt like two or three months ago when basics were shipping and Pro’s hadn’t even rolled one out yet. Don’t the pro orders deserve to be caught up?

6 Likes

No one has paid double. The thing has never been sold at the supposed retail price. The price listed right now for the Pro+filter is $2K less than what full retail was supposed to be when we all bought one at a “50% discount”. At no time has anyone paid the full $8K this was supposed to cost.
So none of us bought one at a 50% discount. This is the same crap that got Harbor Freight into trouble, claiming prices that items were never sold for, so the markdown percentages were completely false.

The markup/markdown is arbitrary to the point I was making. I was basically just saying that Dan and CO were prioritizing more expensive Pro orders over basics because the cancellation of a basic represents a more sizable savings. Thus, my delivery window may continue to slip if more Pros are ordered or upgraded to.

Regardless, he answered the question and I’m fine with his answer. They initially built way more basics and prioritized them over the Pros (likely because the manufacturing process was simpler) and so they have shifted gears. I happen to be inside of a magic “domestic” order window that just happens to get the worst brunt of that. I didn’t order early enough to benefit from the initial basic heavy manufacturing, and now I’ll have to wait through a cycle of Pro heavy manufacturing. It happens. Like Dan had said, those pro purchasers who were getting leapfrogged by basic orders weren’t to happy in the beginning either.

3 Likes