Shipping date on glowforge.com/account

And please, @dan, whatever you do, don‘t put that on the bill for international orders, put on there what we actually paid. Otherwise, we might be charged taxes on the full amount…

4 Likes

@dan, I’m a Day 2 Pro customer who gave up his place in line to someone else until the filter is ready, since I can’t run the unit without it. I haven’t received my email but my account page is showing a date (for the filter alone, a little oddly) of early March.

I still think it’s reasonable to ask for some information about the filter delay. I can’t assess how seriously to take the new estimate without knowing anything about the cause. Is the filter design complete? Close to complete? Is there a production issue? A performance issue with prototypes? When did or will the first production units come off the line for testing? Why is a March date plausible?

I am sorry Glowforge is having these problems and while I share the general frustration, I am sorrier that not everyone is able to remain civil to you personally.

6 Likes

There always are… Some don’t know any better and some know EXACTLY what they’re doing.

3 Likes

We pay exactly the same delta as a new customer who wants to upgrade from a Basic to a Pro. How is that a good deal? If you didn’t at least give us “credit” for the new price of the basic we would actually have to pay more than a new customer to upgrade.

Earlier posts containing nuggets of information that can be found like breadcrumbs dropped in the forest by Hansel and Gretel indicate a bias towards working on the basics and their features because of the commonality between the two machines. That work could then be contributed directly to the pro production giving it a jumpstart over ground-up development. That’s why the basics were shipping out for months before a pro ever hit the UPS truck (and I might mean literally hit).

3 Likes

That credit is the good deal. It’s free money you didn’t have to spend. So for a person who only paid 2k for a 3k basic, you’re getting an extra 1k credit towards the current pro price that a new customer today isn’t going to get. @dan had been clear for about a month before the costs went up to that, and that that would be it for the old prices and how it would affect upgrade costs. If it were me, I’d probably not even be offering that.

1 Like

Yeah thats nuts! I ordered 10/4/16 and my “ship date” is 3/13/18! Basic. Did you order a Pro?

Ship it to a mailbox store in Blaine. Get it faster. Pick it up there.

1 Like

Yeah, I can’t find it right now but that’s about all we’ve heard so far. I’m really hoping for a lot more news about filter development progress in the November and December updates!

For what its worth as another data point, US order of Basic unit on 10/23/2015. Estimated shipping notification date of 01/26/2018

1 Like

Did not get a reply from support today via email, and my estimate is not on my account page. I guess I will wait until next week and hopefully hear something.

Mate, got a link for that?

3 Likes

I didn’t hear anything - guess I still have an hour or so, but figure I won’t hear anything for a couple of days now.

That’s precisely my point. We all experience emotion. Your response to disappointment is through your experiences and how you’ve conditioned yourself to respond. There is nothing wrong with anger. I believe it’s wicked unhealthy to deny anger rather than accept it and deal with it. Some reactions to emotion are beneficial, some are unacceptable.

Unfortunately I’ve made a financial bet. When I learned of the glowforge I was just starting a small business. I was actively looking for a tool and had no experience with crowd funding. To me, I was convinced I was preordering a finished product. My cash was to help with the initial first run manufacturing costs. I was seduced by the promise of the machines capabilities, I still am. I didn’t know there was a significant amount of development still required to have the machine meet its promises, let alone the design of the manufacture process. A pretty substantial amount of my company’s operating budget went into the investment of this tool. I’ve been without the cash and the tool and I’m struggling. Badly. I’m angry. I’ve slept on the news and I’m feeling far less malicious than I did when I first read the email. Had I known I was looking at two years of struggle I would have taken my order and bought an inferior machine and got on with my business.

I took a big risk and it bit me. I’m as angry with myself as I am with glowforge.

@dan.

How many units have been made?
How much risk is there I’m going to lose my money?
Can you see how your dishonesty is actually hurting some of your customers?

I get that lasers are smoke and mirrors, but your business model shouldn’t be.

I realize that is sensitive. If you want we can discuss this in private and I’ll sign an NDA.

Random thought popped in my head today:

Some of us will get our Glowforge around the same time other people’s will be going out of warranty.

2 Likes

I apologize if my original posted made it sound like Basics should take priority over Pro. I should have said Pre-orders should take priority over orders placed after the campaign. I do stand by my comment about feeling like International Basic orders taking a lower priority.

2 Likes

Even the fanboy that I am I have to agree that if :glowforge: is going to do international then you guys should get fair priority. I think that like most startups they have been blindsided on a lot of things, international shipping being one.

3 Likes

Just looked at the email.
I’m really happy that the wait is finally over (for me).
Will cancel or hand-over the order.
(I already lost enough many euro/usd)

I am sorry, I hope you can find a local alternative that works for you. I believe there is a European alternative facebook group that just started to try to find other local options.
Good luck. :frowning:

1 Like