Shipping delays?

Looking for clarification on shipping. I am VERY understanding about it being the holidays as well as delays due to the pandemic. Is anyone aware if shipping is still an issue? How long did you guys wait for your machine?

They are producing the machines as fast as they can but they still want to ensure quality. Some out here early on have waited years before they theirs, not saying you will but to put everything into perspective. I would suspect the delays are due to the current situation. Myself, from the order to receipt was 30 days…

2 Likes

Just to clarify… it sounds like you were with the start up of this project and anticipated a long wait? With me being a new customer so I need to worry that I have spent this amount for something months or years down the road?

3 Likes

All depends, shipments all over are getting delayed thanks to the pandemic so it’s just not Glowforge.

At the time you placed your order, were you given any indication of the expected delivery date? I have seen cases recently on Facebook where people got their machines weeks early. Sadly, I have also read of people getting notices that their machines were delayed. Basic, Plus and Pros are manufactured at different times and probably have different inventories.

I ordered in June of 2019, and it was actually shipped before the expected date. I ended up getting it in about 2 weeks.

2 Likes

It states 7+ Days for shipping. I do not expect it within that time due to everything that is going on. I have been confused that there is no shipping or tracking information. This is when I discovered the customer service situation. I’m sure that they are working as quickly as possible!

Yeah, I was one of the first purchasers, while the idea was still just an idea. :smile:

Right now, the problems with delays are pretty much limited to parts availability due to worldwide lockdowns for COVID, and other orders being ahead of you, so it might be a few days up to a couple weeks beyond the estimate they gave you. Just no way to tell.

But the machines are well worth the wait, IMO. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Oh, you won’t get shipping or tracking, unless you sign up for FedEx delivery manager and the UPS equivalent. I actually heard from FedEx that it had shipped before I got anything back from Glowforge (and I can’t actually remember if they ever did send that)

2 Likes

GF is not the only company in business during a Pandemic. When I order from Amazon or from Macy’s I am informed of the ETA. All companies try inform their customers of the delivery date. We all understand the pandemic can impact our deliveries. GF says “nothing”. GF leaves people in the dark. This is not good custom. This is what is annoying people and causing a lot of unnecessary anxiety.

1 Like

Those are both orders of magnitude larger companies than GF and neither, for the most part, manufacture their own niche product. I feel for your frustration, but it isn’t fair to compare this smallish company to behemoths during this very strange time.

2 Likes

When you order the machine it plainly states the estimated delivery date currently for the Pro and Plus it’s Jan 11, 2021 (US Deliveries) for the basic it’s on backorder with a 2 month delivery estimate. Additionally, you can subscribe for free to UPS and FedEX so you can get updates from them as to when the shipping label is created and then track the shipment. GF does not do the manufacturing or the shipping. Even the material are shipped from the fulfillment centers which are located at different cities around the country, mine is in Louisville, KY.

2 Likes

Thank you for the feedback. I will spend this wait time / downtime learning a few design software programs. Wish me luck … :rofl:

3 Likes

Good luck…

1 Like

Last year and this year I experienced the worst shipping delays from UPS or FedEx the first week of Dec. Presumably it’s all the Black Friday (which is now weeks long and starts before Thanksgiving) merchandise. After that week it’s more like a day or two delay in general and appears to be all about the local hub and how backed up they are.

Work ordered a glowforge basic a few weeks ago and when ordered it wasn’t supposed to be available until Jan 5. It arrived yesterday (Dec 16) via UPS and shipped from Louisville, Kentucky. Unlike in the early days, and not so early days, a tracking email was received before the laser.

1 Like

The labels are created by the shipper not GF. The issue I have with DCL in Louisville is they generally create the label from the order before they even check if the order can be filled, that has happened to me and then material was out of stock thus no shipment. In you case if you didn’t get the email from UPS that’s their system issue of not sending the notification to the company email address.

Hard to say exactly why…

Since you are asking only about shipping delays, my experience this year is that all of the shipping carriers are massively delayed, something along the lines of 30,000 packages a day. I have been watching about 10 small packages slowly filter through the USPS, getting stuck at each distribution hub for 3-5 days. Granted, that is USPS, but the other shipping companies are also hitting massive delays, and predicted delivery dates for any packages coming to me have been off by 1-5 days.

I’m fairly sure you won’t be waiting for a year! But I really like your plan to start learning a design program. My suggestion is to find a simple project and design a copy of it. That way you hit all the snags/learning points of designing a real project, even if you decide not to make it.

3 Likes

Just wondering if you have received your machine yet.

I have not. The information I have states that it will be here on the 6th of January. Their customer service did return an email letting me know that everything looks on track for that delivery time.

2 Likes

Hope you get it as scheduled, and hope you love it.