Show and Tell

Main things I would worry about would be actual speed of belt. Most band saws have a smaller pulley on the motor shaft that turns a large larger one which the blade rides on. The real problem that may come is the belt slipping due to speed vs torque required to turn the large pulley. My suggestion right off would be to up the pulley size on the shaft to lower the torque curve on turning the larger pulley. Remember it will drastically effect speed when you upsize the motor pulley. But this will not necessarily negatively effect cutting of the wood, most saw blades cut better and last longer at a slower speed. Plus when you load up the saw by cutting wood you will have less belt slipping.

2 Likes

you can buy an AC drive control for around 100-200 dollars that will control the speed of anything you want to hook up to it. We have one we use to show customers onsite that is small but usually deal with very large units that cost in the 10’s of thousands. Baldor makes a very reliable drive unit that ships ready to use in case with simple up and down arrows. When you become more comfortable you can program them with torque curves and max/min speed settings.

3 Likes

Thank you!
I invested in a control years ago for the Foredom handpiece that has a high amp rating, and can crank a 4" angle grinder(any brushed motor) down to a crawl, and when you load it - it keeps the set rpm. Damn handy.

2 Likes

Ok. I looked more carefully. It is 2 horse refurbished. But it still rocks. The pulley ratio makes it 2100 fpm so that is a pretty good speed. I adjusted the blade guides very carefully for the 10" in boards.

I also scored some 5/4 cedar 12" wide by five feet from a remodel. I have 20 boards in great shape. They were exterior siding of a house that got closed in to a breezeway and screened in porch. I ripped them in half because they were cupped a bit and then resawed a 2 foot section into two boards. The walnut actually cut faster. The cedar really has lots of friction. Planing them up to 1/2 inch if possible. I don’t have a powered planer and it’s pretty challenging to hand plane this much. I have enough material for a couple nice cigar boxes. Cedar inside and walnut veneer outside.

Here is the surface after sawing.

And here is another piece of walnut. I hand planed it and it turned out ok. Need some winding sticks now.

And I will let go of woodworking for a bit. I got to get my garden planted before I leave for vacation.

20 Likes

yes indeed those are oreo stuffed chocolate chip cookies and they where EPIC!!!

6 Likes

A Mother’s Day gift, not my design. My Wife saw this on a co-worker and took a pic to show me. Fashion jewelry in cheap metal.
I reproduced it as closely as I could to honor the great design. No idea who to credit, but they nailed it. Salute to the original artist!
I embellished the finish by blasting with flint shot (glass bead) that leaves a smooth matte finish, and beveled the edges and burnished them. Done in 14k, (bad picture, looks silver) precious metal befits the wonderful design.
One of her favorites.

21 Likes

Sneaking a few more in here…
This is a shave ice machine I made my wife as an anniversary present (she really likes shave ice).

and a little set of drawers made out of recycled fir from our house and fabricated brass drawers (about 12" x 5" x 5")

40 Likes

I like the brass drawers, well done.

4 Likes

Is that cast or pierced out?
Very pretty either way!

3 Likes

Awesome little drawers! :relaxed:

4 Likes

That box is gorgeous!
Great example of cabinet grade woodwork. The combination of metal and wood - especially the colors work so well!
Nothing like shaved ice on a hot day. Had it first in Hawaii, might have to snag that design from you!

I’ll bet your Wife sings about the span of your abilities like mine. Telling coworkers of our planned road trip around Colorado, they asked " do you have triple A? "No, I’ve got Dave."
Nicest thing she ever said about me.

Thanks for sharing more with us, what I have learned about you in my time here - I know that house is full of all kinds of your work. We always welcome seeing more!

10 Likes

That’s awesome! It gave me a good chuckle.

4 Likes

Thank you, I cast that.
Speaking to one who can appreciate the perspective, although most are simple, the part I enjoyed most in the process was designing the spruce/gate/vent and feeder system for complicated pieces. Envisioning how metal would enter and distribute In the mold.
Great anticipation right up to the reward of the finished casting!

3 Likes

lets be honest here. It’s all awsome!
Love what you guys do, makes my archival enclosures look very humdrum.

4 Likes

Oh, I have been humbled by what/who this thread has introduced me to!
“If you are the smartest person in the room, you need a new room”.
Well, I stumbled into a room here where I wander in awe of the artistry on display.

6 Likes

Nice box joints! I would like to make a box joint jig, but I can’t decide whether I should do Matthias Wandel’s, John Heisz’s or Stumpy Nubbs’. Will just have to wait till I get the Glowforge.

2 Likes

Ha, it is NOT cabinet grade woodwork, it is just a very carefully composed picture to hide all the tearouts in the box joints. Bone dry 100 year old douglas fir was not a good wood for this application, especially given my limited skill at woodworking.
The shave ice machine is loosely based upon one we saw in Hawaii. I bought cheap bevel gears intended for use in an angle grinder and literally built the machine around them. I would be happy ot send you some close up shots if you want them.

@numosbk @Jules I will accept any compliments on the drawers as well deserved though, making eight of them identical was a test that I actually passed. :slight_smile:

@marmak3261 thanks, I hacked something quick and dirty together in mdf in a few minutes, and it worked just fine (as far as the jig was concerned anyway). It has no flexibility though so it was a once and done kind of thing.

6 Likes

A square drive for the shaft slip through the gear?

2 Likes

It is a round shaft with a keyway cut in it.
I had to use as many machine tools as possible.

7 Likes

Do you have to freeze your own blocks for it?

2 Likes