Show and Tell

Incredible!

2 Likes

I used to draw.
Imgur
though this has been my big project lately. the images are kinda sporadic, because I’m not really good at documenting my personal projects (as well as I should)
I was homeless for a very brief moment of my life, so now that I am a proud father, I found this fixer upper for $8000 in my neck of the woods. I’ve been fixing it up as I can for the past 8~9 months. My dyslexia won’t allow me to read the files and organize these pictures more effectively lol.

I may or may not have been berated by neighbors for making the shed nicer than the house
but it is really coming along now

19 Likes

Well Done man!
From the bones up…!
You document better than I, I’m putting the finishing touches on a project and she asks “did you get a ‘before’ picture?”
… umm…

My old house was built 1911, and you just don’t know the full extent of the task until you complete the tear out. after all of the sheetrock sanding I’ve done, I have blown enough white dust out of my orify to last me a lifetime!
Did the one small bathroom in marble I got a steal on from an old bank they were going to drop - $5. sq.ft you pull it off the walls yourself.
Cool!
Got the new fixtures, ready to roll. Pulled the tub, and the floor was rotting. pulled the bad wood, the joist was bad. I noticed looking through the floor that the cast iron plumbing had some tie wire strung between two sections with a nail twisting the wire to pull it together.
I cut the wire and about 2 hundred pounds of cast iron crashed into the crawlspace:dizzy_face:
So I know my friend! I said before; the feeling of accomplishment you only get by spending yourself in the journey. I still love that old house, and this one will always have a place in your heart.
Your on the downhill swing now! Very nice work. Your investment has gained significant value.

Nice drawing, pencil? I’ll bet you can still draw.
Beautiful baby girl!!

Thanks for sharing Joshua!

2 Likes

Great job!
There are few better feelings then waking up in a house you fixed/built/rebuilt yourself. You will enjoy that feeling for years to come, or will once the memories of the actual work involved start to fade… :grinning:

4 Likes

I do some painting, some stencils, some drawing and illustration, some vinyl work, some photography, occasional wood and metal work… I really like to try and mesh it all together when it is possible.

24 Likes

Lots of great work, but that WARNING sign made me laugh out loud!

6 Likes

Me too! I need that on my shop door.

Wow @jbv! Tons of great work there.
I really like the composite looking work of the guy from behind. “Zorro” is cool too.
Water color is something that eludes me, just looks like soaked paper when I do it.

Thanks for the showing!

1 Like

All I have to say is wow at all of you. I am so impressed and so jealous that you have such a natural talent/gift.

I am 37 in a few weeks and I still haven’t found what my talent is. Nothing really just comes to me naturally and I can’t just pickup a pencil and draw for example. I can picture it in my head but when I try to draw it it just doesn’t work. (like not even close) lol.

That’s part of the reason why I bought the forge. I just saw it and wanted to be that creative person that could use it to make cool things. I cant use any of the software and I’m not a graphic designer so it will all be new.

Not sure if this will spark something in me to be the maker that I so “want” to be or if it will just become one of those toys you buy and then just end up sitting there doing nothing.

Thanks for the inspiration! now back to reality…

6 Likes

haha, “Zorro” is my neighbor James, a preforming ropemaster-cowboy. He practices with his whips in the front yard every morning in the summer! I just did that one this morning.

@jkopel I’m happy to make more warning signs for you or anyone who wants one, thats kind of what I do :yum:
pm or email me if you want one… still need to get my website in order! (or wait till you get your glowforge, ask me for the file, and cut it from 2-tone acrylic!)

1 Like

This is a very good topic. Here is some of my work

A small film with me talking about my carving.

34 Likes

:smiley: Thanks!

I’m learning this from Aleshea :wink: she always asks for pictures when I’m done working - she’s as excited as I am for it to be finished

Oh mercy, I feel you there! That stuff gets to the bones. The insulation was the worst, though - some somehow managed to work it’s way into most unpleasant places :wink:

I know! Construction Assistant was my first job, so I figured when I bought this is would be relatively easy lol! There is a huge difference in doing something that somebody else tells you and starting the project on your own and figuring out what order to do it in. when I first got it the back portion of the house(which I’m assuming was a patio add-on)'s roof was caving in. once I tried fixing that, I found out that the walls were so bad you could move them with one finger (or really bad breath - I tried both ways), and then I found… :wink:
I have since come to the conclusion that tear-out’s are easy, new construction is easy, and building new construction around something you should have torn out and finally decide to tear out after fighting with it and being defeated on multiple physical and emotional levels makes you want to take your frustrations out on a poor defenseless porcelain toilet with a crowbar…
I’m not admitting to anything :smiling_imp:

and yes, I am actually sure that I can still draw, but that level of detail requires a level of time I haven’t had lately. which ends up explaining my general capabilities in life: I can do anything. just don’t necessarily expect me to know how at this precise moment. and when I do know, don’t necessarily expect me to do it quickly :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

:joy:
Oh, believe me I am soooooooo looking forward to moving in. I’m sure the fading will happen quickly: there may have been a few :head_bandage: injuries involved… at least, that’s what they told me happened lol :wink:

3 Likes

I’m told it builds character…

3 Likes

That is amazing woodwork! Master work.
As good as I have seen, that sparrow(?) has attitude that shines through!
The Woodpecker is fantastic, how long did that take you to complete that?
Great platform for exploring mixing the color and grain of woods - bird plumage!

What are your ideas for exploring the abilities of the 'forge?
Thanks for sharing your beautiful work!

4 Likes

I made these 3-foot tall poseable figures for our studio’s Halloween event.

The parts were 3d printed or PVC. Sanded and painted.

I have a method to fill in larger spaces with cardboard pieces that fit together. So much cutting by hand! It took hours! A Glowforge would make short work of it.
And that’s one of the ways I’ll be using it for. Making MUCH bigger things.

I do a lot of 3d printing and general building things that interest me.

26 Likes

LOL :joy:

1 Like

3D printed marionettes. I love it. Great idea on using the cardboard for volume displacement.
Thanks for sharing

3 Likes

David, thanks for the kind words. Your Octopus is fabulous.
Come to think of it, here are some other projects that I have designed and built. Big and small.

31 Likes

You are a man after my own heart - if I wasn’t engaged to a beautiful woman and didn’t swing in a completely different direction…

5 Likes

Wow! This is amazing work!

1 Like