Simple phone holder with lots of design potential

Definitely, but I just assumed and wanted to warn anybody else to verify their material thickness.

Everybody loves your design who has seen it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you this is so adorable. I tried it with acrylic and oh my…I cannot seem to get the back portion of the stand to fit thru to the front. Back to the drawing board with wood this time…lol

Total newbie what is “minus kerf…”?

That’s a reference to “kerf adjustment.” If you search the forum for that, you will find a lot of discussion.

Basically, the laser abates away some material as it cuts and, you may need to compensate for that to get optimal fit of the pieces.

There are excellent instructions by @Jules in the Tips & Tricks section. Should also be good info in The Matrix:

1 Like

Definition of Kerf in Woodworking - The Spruce Crafts
https://www.thesprucecrafts.com › definition-of-kerf-3536563

The term kerf is used to describe the thickness of the cut a woodworking saw blade makes in a piece of wood as it cuts through it. The term is also sometimes used to describe the thickness of the blade itself; for example, you may see the packaging of a circular saw blade or table saw blade listing its kerf width.

So in this case the thickness of the cut made via the laser.

3 Likes

I think this link has a really great visual and there’s tons of info about kerf in the search list below.

https://community.glowforge.com/search?q=what%20is%20kerf

3 Likes

This is adorable. Did you have to adjust to get the acrylic to fit together properly? I have done a few phone stands in acrylic however they don’t seem to fit. I am working on how in the world to translate these to adjust in illustrator for acrylic…lol . Total newbie :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was so inspired by this post/file, that I had to customize my own! I am so proud of it as I’m a total newbie and this was my first somewhat challenging task that I had to think through from designing to sending it to the Glowforge and adjusting what parts I wanted engraved and scored. Thank you so much!

19 Likes

And your kitty is adorable! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Terribly cute indeed!

4 Likes

Meezer!

1 Like

This is awesome :grinning:

1 Like

I have three Meezers!

3 Likes

I have one mix right now, but most of my life has had meezers in it :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is great for several reason. You’re off to a great start and kudos for tackling this!

2 Likes

Love it

10 Likes

I see you figured at least some of it out :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes still got to figure out the wording

1 Like

You know if someone walked up and your phone was sitting on the sheep, they would see those ears sticking out…I can just imagine an episode of candid camera where you would hide a voice box under the sheep and have it periodically baaa or the phone’s ring signal would be a sheep sound…someone just couldn’t help but peek at what is behind the phone! so cute!

2 Likes

This is SO cute!!