Simple snowflake generator

Oh this is slick. I don’t think this is a duplicate post…

Makes stuff like this:

snowflaker

Which can then be made into stuff like this:

Solid 1/8" Maple and Walnut
(Kerf corrected 0.006", inlaid and glued with titebond, sanded to 600 grit, finished with Feed-n-wax)

44 Likes

Ooooh, nice! I can see engraving them on hexagon tiles…then adding gold or silver paint…thank you for sharing!

4 Likes

You are making all of look so easy, but I am seeing that there is a lot of technique to the fantastic results you are getting. You are a great inspiration to me. :grin:

4 Likes

Nice! I just yesterday drew one of these by hand (well,tracing over a clip art by hand anyway). Mine turned out pretty well, but nothing like these! Thanks for the link!

2 Likes

Bookmarked! Can’t wait to try it. I like how that inlay came out—thanks for the details. I need to explore what Feed-n-wax is all about.

3 Likes

The problem is that now I have this:

And no clue what to do with it. It’s a pretty nice scrap.

7 Likes

Even if it were, at least the snowflakes would be different.

7 Likes

Not the same one, but, 12 years ago my sister and I used one, and created snowflakes to embroider.

Think you need to give the scrap a finish and put a string on it for the tree. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The curse of hardwoods… it’ll break with too much handling. Proofgrade walnut ply would be great for that though.

2 Likes

How small do you think you could go on one of those in medium acrylic?

1 Like

It’ll depend on the design, I chose that one because it didn’t have any islands (wanted a quick 2 piece insert inlay) and then sized it how I wanted it. After that I tweaked stroke size until the smallest gaps between flake bits were at least about 1mm,

If you’re engraving, you can go way smaller. If you’re cutting, acrylic can melt and slump if you cut it very thin.

You might be able to mitigate that by Cutting it in stages to let the acrylic cool before you cut skinny pieces (cut one edge. Stop and cool. Cut other edge,) but that’s mostly theoretical, I’ve never tried it.

1 Like

Solid find! This is the first I’ve seen of it. Love the sample.

2 Likes

For kicks I engraved a sheet of them on acrylic to make little winter tokens. Good for friends’ kids and whatnot.

Side lit to get a little contrast going on the black cardstock.

12 Likes

Where’s the quarter? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Heh no scale. They’re 1” diameter.

1 Like

next time you have a circle you cut out for some reason, glue that snowflake to it for a 3D version.

1 Like

Funny you should mention that. I just did that today, aligned it with a circle but didn’t glue it yet.

1 Like

Timely share. Thank you. I especially like the acrylic tokens.

1 Like

Isn’t it supposed to be a banana for scale?

2 Likes

18 Likes