Slat board tape racks

Included are both my first one and the version two that changes things I didn’t like about version 1.

Looks like I’ll have to make a third one! I didn’t know I had so much tape!

slatboardTapeHolders.zip (599.1 KB)

32 Likes

Thank you! Now I need to get some slat board…

6 Likes

Very kind of you, Mark! I’m without slats … But these are great! Really like their look.

3 Likes

@cynd11 @ptodd you really need some in your workplace, you can see how versatile it is!

I’ll be adding pegboard items at some point but it won’t hold as much weight so it will be smaller items.

3 Likes

Very useful! Thanks Mark!
Your solution is so much more elegant than what I’m using.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing it! (You probably could have developed those and sold them though.) :wink:
…i need one about 15 feet long to handle my tape collection.

6 Likes

I considered that for this one and it can always be a future possibility but here’s the thing. First, I enjoy the accolades probably more than a couple of $ I might get, and 2) I have three standards for my work. 1)good enough for me, no one needs to see this. 2) good enough to give the file away. And 3) good enough to sell. The gap between 2 and 3 is huge for me so it is just easier to stop at two!

9 Likes

Yeah, forgot about that last one. You are 180% correct sir. :wink:

3 Likes

I get hung up in the tedium of photographing, coming up with descriptive posts, responding to customer inquiries, and packaging/mailing. I’d much rather just make stuff. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Guess I’ll have to keep my day job for a while…

3 Likes

You need to focus on high-dollar sales instead. That way the fixed costs of the tedious activities are supported by more incoming dollars.

That’s why I don’t laser for profit. Not enough margin to make up for the administrivia. I get a far better return on my time when I do an $800 servicing of an Omega.

5 Likes

A real truth bomb right there! This is why I have said and try to practice, only sell things that you can bill as art. The pricing of art, as opposed to utility, is HUGE.
So since I tend to be drawing to bespoke utility items I am happy making mostly for myself for now.

4 Likes

Yeah, I’ve sold trinkets before. Commissions are the only thing worth the time I have remaining.
All a matter of perspective. If it were 30 years ago I would sing a different song.

4 Likes

That’s my thinking exactly. Someone who has a $5,000 watch isn’t going to blink (well maybe they will but they don’t bitch & moan & say “I could do that”) when I tell them a complete servicing is going to be $1,000 or $1,500. It takes the same time to do that as design, make & package a box or dice tower or something for $50. I do those for me for fun or for a unique gift.

I don’t have so many life minutes left that I want to spend them doing something I don’t want to do or doesn’t pay very well.

5 Likes

Exactly.
Most of what I do with this thing is unique gifts for friends and family, that brings me joy.

4 Likes

I guess I have low-class tastes…I’ve never understood why someone would need a $5000 watch. Once upon a time I didn’t understand even paying $100 for a watch. Now I have an Apple watch, and I didn’t mind its price, but that’s because it does stuff besides just tell me what time it is. I mean, really, can any of those $5000 watches do an EKG? Or find your phone for you? :wink:

1 Like

I tell you this not to convence you but only to explain.
The whole point of a nice analog watch is that it does but one thing very elegantly. Art /status /etc.

1 Like

Have simple tastes. Wearing my dad’s $30 wind-up watch. Why a wind-up? Because the wife thought I needed something to do every day.

5 Likes

Exactly. It’s really pretty amazing that a simple (the gear train just looks complicated :slightly_smiling_face:) mechanical assembly can keep time to within a half-second per day.

The build quality & tolerances are incredible for 100% handmade ones too - they can match the machining of the best manufactured movements (but will cost $100K+ :grinning:). And every certified watchmaker is able to match that standard. Most won’t dedicate the year it takes to make a watch completely by hand but they could.

A good watch is a generational gift - they can continue to operate at the performance they were built to for 200 years. It’s a connection to dad and grampa and great-grandfather and even his father. Not a lot of other artifacts of a person’s life that can do the same.

The $30 electric watch is yours to tell time. A $15,000 Patek is your great-grandchild’s very personal connection to their past.

3 Likes

@markevans36301 @jamesdhatch I get it, kind of. I guess it’s just not the sort of thing I put that much value in. My view is that for $5000 I could buy an Apple Watch and another Glowforge, and make stuff while I check my heartrate and record my steps and text with my kids and check my email and walkie-talkie with my husband. :wink: Or I could buy a hot tub, since I already have an Apple Watch and a Glowforge, and luxuriously soak off the smoke smell after a long day of 'forging. (Yeah, I think it’s getting to be time to clean my fan…)

My husband still tells the story of when we were first married and he bought me a beautiful diamond heart necklace for my birthday, and then on impulse got a digital camera as just an extra “side” gift. Guess which one I was most excited over? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

It’s one of those things where if you have to ask you won’t get the answer :slightly_smiling_face:

Like why does the average American woman in 56(!) pairs of shoes she acknowledges she doesn’t wear but goes & buys another?

(I think I have 6 and they’re all purpose-specific like motorcycle boots, snow boots, scuba Crocs, sneakers, docksiders and dress shoes.)