Slats for days

And, a nice use of those little scraps of material that are really too narrow for just about anything else. A random mix of bits would make a pretty cool tea light or container. The design would make a cool pencil holder.

3 Likes

This one’s fun. Lot of possibilities. :sunglasses::+1:

2 Likes

I like it! It would make a great pencil, scissors, kitchen tools box. Graduate the lengths of the legs and make bowls or vases.

2 Likes

Really like the shape, the way the light passes through, and the building of it would be fun.

You could make a kit with slats and pins and then it would be a build-your-own-slatventure

2 Likes

Yeah, had to stop off at the HW store this morning for some brass rod. (Dang it!)

4 Likes

I also used the brass rods in my finger joint experiments. There’s one with small brass inserts.

2 Likes

When I get my machine out of storage and running, I think I’ll use this technique to make hexagon or octagon shapes for some ideas I have. Of course, now that I’ve mentioned it I doubt I’ll be the first to try it.

I’m totally good with that.

1 Like

From my OP:

So I think the cat was already out of the bag :slight_smile:

OMG where was this idea my whole life.

4 Likes

Where was it during the first three pins? I considered it early on but was like “naah, I got this”. When I finally tried it with the 4th, I was kicking myself. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well you caught on faster than me. I’ve been using them for hinge pins for years and never thought to use a drill. I hammered things on with a rubber mallet, and as often as not BROKE what I was trying to attach.

3 Likes

I got out my hammer, and was all set to give it some tapping, and I had a thought ‘this is 1/8" wood, one wrong whack and that’s that’, and put it away. Sounds like I dodged a bullet. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Great job! Looks awesome! :clap:t2::clap:t2::clap:t2:

1 Like

Missed that. Skimming posts instead of actually reading them is a bad habit of mine.

1 Like

Can’t figure out what impresses me more about your work. Your creativity, your productivity, or your generosity in documenting your projects. Thanks again.

4 Likes

You keep inspiring me!

2 Likes

Often when you post, it really makes me want to go to Fusion 360 and model something based on your post. Here’s what I came up with this time:

It’s using the same slat techique, but with rounded slats that have this shape:

Thanks again for the inspiration!

17 Likes

That’s wicked. Plywood?

Well, it’s just a rendering.

I used “cherry” on the sides, and “bamboo” on the tops of the model to give them different shades.

If I do cut it, I’ll probably use Baltic Birch plywood to test it out. I have to find 1/4" dowels as well.

Oh snap, nice render, I should have looked more closely. What render engine is it using? Is there a built in rendered in f360?

2 Likes