I just noticed several times today, when I brush the metal edge of the glowforge with my wrist, I can feel a bit of an electric shock. I assume there is a slight short circuit somewhere. Is this something I need to be concerned about?
This might help…
Don’t shuffle your feet…static electricity.
A static shock is a quick, short-lived discharge. This isn’t like that. It is a constant discharge that doesn’t stop. I do believe there is a slight short circuit.
Test your wall socket ground, and if it’s good, use a multimeter to check for continuity between your GF power connector ground and the metal strip that’s shocking you. Also check for voltage on that metal strip between it and the GF ground plug. If it’s 60 volts, someone miswired the neutral on the power connector.
Having a GFCI on the circuit that your GF is on helps out a lot. It’s also keeping a ground loop really close to your end point. If ANYTHING goes wrong, it pops the circuit at the GF instead of elsewhere. It can also detect issues in your GF if there is a short circuit.
Thanks for letting us know about this. We’re looking into it now, and we’ll follow up in this thread just as soon as we have more information.
I apologize – I just discovered that we hadn’t replied to this message! The experience that you’ve had indicates a build-up of static electricity or an issue with the wiring to which your Glowforge is connected. Please make sure that your wiring is properly grounded and that it meets your local electrical code.