Slowed engraves

So I noticed GF had original SD engrave setting expiring. So I saved the settings 1000/full/270 lines.
The new SD went into effect which is about twice as slow as the original.
Starting this morning November 13th all my engraves on the original setting look terrible. I’m now forced to use the new slow setting.
Anyone else notice this?

The power settings that you set yourself (1000/full/270) have not changed in performance. Could you share a picture of what causes you to say they look terrible? You are certainly not forced to use any setting.

1 Like

Yes, here is a photo of three projects all cut on the same settings.
The ones on the left were cut last night, the ones on the right were cut today.

Looks like you need to clean your optics.

1 Like

That what it looked like to me at first, but I always start the day by cleaning all lenses, mirror, and air assist fan.
For good measure I cleaned them all again with no luck.
I manually set the focus to ensure it wasn’t auto focusing to the wrong thickness of material. They didn’t help.
I loaded the gift of good measure and it came out perfect.
Then I realized I had used the GF SD engrave for it. So I re cut my projects with the new SD engrave setting and they came out perfect again.

So now all my engraves projects are taking twice as long because the 1000/full setting will no longer give me a clean engrave.

1000/full is still 1000/full. Something has to have changed with your material or your machine for it to be working different than before. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Have you used the 1000/full settings today by chance?
If it’s just me I guess I’ll open a help ticket.

1 Like

By posting here you already have. Staff will see it the same as an emailed ticket.

1 Like

I have not noticed a change in 1000/full/270 settings today.

1 Like

Not today, but I can run something real quick to compare to previous, since I helped with beta testing the new settings and still have my samples. I’ll be back with my results. :slight_smile:

Thanks for all the responses so far. I really appreciate everyone taking their time to help me!

Okay, here you go. Beta test run on the left (a week or two ago) and just now on the right. Both at 1000/full/270 (PG maple ply):

Thank you so much for running that test for me!
I guess it’s something specific to my machine.
I’ll wait for GF to get with me and hopefully we can get it resolved!

Double checking on the cleaning - there are 5 lens like objects…did you get them all?

I believe so. I clean the 4 objects the laser passes through/off.
I also clean the camera and auto focus on the bottom of printer head. As well as the overhead camera.
Is that all the ones that can be cleaned?

I’m so sorry to hear about the trouble you’ve been experiencing, and for the delay in response. I appreciate you working through all of the instructions the community has provided, and for sending over the confirmation that the SD engrave is working correctly, but you are experiencing trouble when utilizing a 1000/Full manual setting while printing.

Does this behavior occur when utilizing Proofgrade material, materials that are not Proofgrade, or both?

I see that you’ve been utilizing Manual settings for the focus. Does this mean you are inputting the material thickness, or utilizing the Set Focus feature?

Once we can confirm these details, we’ll send over the next best steps.

So yesterday morning I went ahead and tried the 1000/full setting and it is now engraving normally with no issues.
I’m not sure why it was doing it the other day. Multiple attempts, multiple projects, and various materials all produced the same poor results.
I’m just glad that the issue send to have resolved itself.

We can close this discussion, and I appreciate everyone’s help!

1 Like

I’m glad you resolved it! Thank you everyone for your advice. I’m going to close this thread. If you run into any other trouble, please start a new topic, or email us at support@glowforge.com. We’re here to help!