Small scratch on outside of glass tube

Hi everyone! We just received our glowforge basic this afternoon and in the process of setting it up we noticed that there is a small (~1cm) scratch on the outside of the glass tube. I did send this inquiry to glowforge support as well but hoping for a quicker answer here. Should we be concerned about a scratch on the tube?

Posting here is the same as sending an e-mail to support. You will probably get a few answers here, most of which will be to wait for support. Since you sent it to both what will likely happen is support will close the thread here, with a statement like, “I see you already emailed us about this and we’re working on it there, so I’m going to close this topic.” Then none of us will know what the resolution is unless you open up another thread.

It’s really kind of frustrating.

Anyhoo. My unofficial thought without seeing a photo would be to run it as is. If they do decide to replace it, at least you got some use out of it. Remember it did pass a comprehensive QC at the factory, and you do have a warranty!

Also, have seen a couple instances where a very thin line of an adhesive was mistaken for a scratch. Can your finger nail feel it as a scratch or a raised line?

4 Likes

A scratch on the outside of the glass should have no effect at all on operation. Its quite hard to scratch glass though.

If it stays as a scratch. But if there is differential thermal loading in that vicinity of the glass, the scratch could act as a source of stress concentration and lead to cracking.

2 Likes

I see you already emailed us about this and we’re working on it there, so I’m going to close this topic.