Smell creating massive headache on first run

This is how I finally ended up installing and so far so good! Tiny smell usually when opening lid. I do let fan run a long time after the project is done also. The fan is right at the wall going into a piece of duct work that goes to a dryer type vent outside. Built a shelf for the fan.

1 Like

Itā€™s a sliding window in a regress window in a basement. So, thereā€™s a cement well surrounding the area.

I donā€™t have it vented past the piece of wood itā€™s mounted on. Should the vent tube go past the window and extend outside?

If I vented it straight out and didnā€™t have it go up, if it would help with the smell while printing?

Should I have the tube go all the way up to above the wall? Worried about water, bugs, small animal crawling inā€¦

THANKS!

I have the fan mounted at the duct work that goes outside if you look at picture. It looks like your fan is mounted going up the wall? I was told to have the fan as close as possible to the outsideā€¦only one hose, from the unit to the fanā€¦then vents outside. If you are venting into a closed window well it could very well be trapping all of your smell? Mine vents to open airā€¦a breeze takes it away from the houseā€¦you can smell it in the yard when working, but not in the house.

1 Like

This so much. Iā€™d bet so much of the smells are just seeping right back in via the window.

Routing the smoke exhaust as far away from the window as possible would be the ideal here. The smells donā€™t much bother me so I have essentially what you do just out a front window. Itā€™s mostly to keep summer or winter temperatures out while Iā€™m lasering. I pull mine back in when Iā€™m done and thereā€™s also the window screen I could leave up even if I didnā€™t pull the hose back whenever I was done.

Iā€™m guessing you have 6ā€ tubing there. If it were still 4ā€ you could use dryer attachments to put louvres on the end to keep the animals out.

1 Like

you need to mount that booster fan as close to the exhaust point as you can. otherwise you risk pressurizing your ducting, AND ensuring any leaks will pump smoke out.

Well, I could run the tube all the way up and out of the window well, but would that mean I would just have to run tubing UP again? And create the same problem?

Up isnā€™t the problem. From that one picture, itā€™s just out into that well and sitting there. You optimally want the duct to end where the wind will naturally take it away or just so far away from any ingress point to the house, it naturally dissipates.
Someone recently went full hog and pvc piped the exhaust outside to an external fan in a box which then went straight up the side of the house to be vented above the roof top with a mini cap on it. The fan was therefore pulling all the exhaust and any leaked air into the piping and outside before pushing it upwards.
He may have had leaks but since the positive pressure was already outside on the far side of the fan from the Glowforge, heā€™d have never known if there was a leak inside on the negative pressure side.
Another person rolls the hose out the sliding door and off the deck.

3 Likes

Yes. I would build a little support/shelf under where the fan exits and run a single exhaust hose from the GF to the fan.