Smoke coming from bottom of machine?

My machine is smoking out of the bottom and it SMELLS SO MUCH especially when cutting the PG Acrylic.
Does anyone else have this problem?
Has GF corrected the seals on the bottom door hinge area?

My little door is latched fine but its not very snug on the sides and i’m pretty sure thats where its leaking from. idk! I just don’t want smoke in my house.

47136669_215917559306100_4007790157498417152_n|497x280

to me that indicates the exhaust fan isn’t operating to capacity.

5 Likes

The body of the machine is not supposed to be air tight, there is supposed to be air flowing into the machine through the cracks.

If the smoke is coming back out into the room through the body of the machine, it’s a sign that the exhaust is blocked, or possibly the air intake.

Make sure there is nothing blocking the machine on the lower right hand side underneath…that is where the intake is…under the machine. You need a good air flow on the right side.

The next thing to check is your venting arrangement. Make sure you have sealed all seams around the hose and where it attaches to the window with aluminum tape. A lot of the connectors aren’t designed to be air tight, and they leak smoke badly. You might need to tape them up.

Last thing is to run through the exhaust cleaning process here:
https://glowforge.com/support/topic/cleaning-service-and-moving/cleaning#cleaning_exhaust

6 Likes

Just to echo what has been said. The entire machine is pretty much under a slight vacuum, except for the exhaust on the back-left side. If anything is coming into the room, your exhaust is blocked/restricted/inoperable.

1 Like

Make sure your fan is turning. Might need cleaning. :thinking:

1 Like

@crystalvinyls - thank you for letting us know about this. I see you tried attaching a photo or video but it didn’t come through on our end. Can you try posting it again or emailing support@glowforge.com?

Even with proper filtration, small amounts of smoke and fumes can enter the air around your Glowforge, producing a detectable odor. You may also smell an odor when you open the Glowforge lid, even long after a print is complete. This is not harmful.

However, if you detect a strong, sharp smell that also causes eyes, nose, or throat irritation, or if there is visible smoke escaping while the lid is closed, shut off your Glowforge unit immediately. Smoke and fumes could be entering the room in excessive concentrations.

We’ve created an troubleshooting guide with illustrations. You can see it here: https://glowforge.com/support/topic/troubleshooting/print#excessive-smoke-or-fumes-during-print

If you’re still seeing or smelling excessive smoke or fumes when using Proofgrade materials, we’re here for you. Email us again and send us:

1. The name of the material you’re using
  2. A description of where the smoke/fumes are coming from: the door, lid, or hose
  3. When you smell the fumes: during the print or after it has completed
  4. Photos of your Glowforge and your exhaust system
1 Like

Thank you all for the replies im going to try and clean the fan and see if that helps because It just recently started happening and if im standing next to the machine watching it cut it definitely does cause me some irritation.

Cleaned the fan this morning. But its still happening. Here is a video using Medium Maple Plywood :frowning:

Might disconnect your hose and run a job with an empty bed (do the Gift of Good Measure) and see if you are getting decent airflow out of the outlet.

1 Like

Looks like it’s coming out of a specific spot on the lower left side of the door from the vid…Open the lid and drop the front door. Carefully remove the tray. …check very carefully to see if there is a bit of debris or something stuck into the channel between the drop down door and the body of the machine. It might take getting a small flashlight to see what’s in there. (I like to moisten a wad of Q-Tips with a vinegar/water solution and wipe, wipe, wipe until it comes away clean. From both inside the door channel, and after closing it, from the front underneath the door. You’ll see the grooves. Do not use anything sharp to brush or pick at it.)

A lot of junk gets blown into that channel, and there’s a little black foam gasket under there. It might be torn, gotten brittle from too much resin, or have a bit of junk stuck in it at that corner, and that would let the high pressured smoke out in that one spot.

Check that foam gasket. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I have a method you can use to clean your fan, but it requires a bit of coordination.

Please let me know a day and time when you’ll be available for an hour (though it will probably be quicker) between 10 am and 5 pm PST, Sunday through Friday.

Before the appointment, you’ll need to obtain a can of 3M Novec Electronic Degreaser, which you can purchase from Amazon or Digikey.

1. Before your hour begins, turn off and unplug your unit and move it outside. Make sure it’s in a location where it has power and Wi-Fi.

2. Once the appointment begins

• With the unit off
    • Open the lid
    • gently slide the laser arm to the front of the unit
    • Leave the lid open
    • Turn your unit on
    • Reply to this email letting me know you’ve done so.
  3. When I receive your email, I’ll turn on your exhaust fan remotely. The fan will continue to run with the lid open allowing you to complete the cleaning.

4. Following all manufacturer’s safety instructions from 3M, spray the degreaser into the fan while it’s running for approximately 5 - 10 seconds, or until the fan is clean.

5. When you’re done cleaning, turn off your unit to stop the fan, and return it to its usual home. You should now see considerably better performance from your exhaust fan!

I’ll be available via email if you have any questions, and I’ll specifically be checking for any messages from you during your appointment.

Let me know which date and time works best for you!

3 Likes

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.