Smoke leaking out from the exhaust port connection

Hi.

I’ve tried searching for what I was looking for but I could not find a solution yet or a post that actually addressed what I was looking for. If there is any existing post, can someone link it.

The issue that I’m facing is smoke leaking. Originally, I had smoke leaking through the front and sides of the GF but I was able to fix that problem by cleaning out the exhaust port with a vacuum as indicated in the cleaning directions. Now that I have removed the exhaust hose and reinstalled, I no longer have that problem. Airflow seems to be flowing and sucking through the exhaust.

This seemed to create a new problem for me. There is smoke leaking from the exhaust port. I have tried the following debugging:
• Leak from the hose – I have replaced the hose and also tried installing it from both ends. The smoke is still leaking out from the exhaust port area
• Clamping – I have tried adjusting the clamps a few times and I did confirm that the hose is not easily removed by simple tugs. It seems tight.
• Air flow – I confirmed that the airflow is flowing. It’s visible in the GF through the glass. I felt the air flow at the other end of the exhaust hose (exit).

So I’m at this point confused and not sure what I’m doing wrong or if the set up is incorrect. I’m playing whack-a-mole with smoke coming out of the GF.

I have a video of the connection and setup. However, because of the lighting it’s hard to see the smoke coming out, but there is actual smoke coming out.

You may want to add air tight tape around the connections. You’d probably also do better with a shorter run.

When the exhaust is working properly, the Glowforge itself is at negative pressure (sucking air in through all the gaps), but the exhaust hose is at positive pressure (finding and pushing smoke through even tiny holes).

The aluminum tape definitely helps. Those foil hoses aren’t the sturdiest of things.

If you have a 3D printer or have access to one, print up an exhaust flange extension. It really helps to get a better platform to place the hose on. You can also find an adapter that fits online or at some hardware stores. There are several topics that treat this.

Foil tape works well too.

1 Like

Aluminum tape for any seams, and I always recommend a booster fan to help with a longer run like you have there.

I’m sorry I’m late to reply. Thank you for providing the photo and video.

Like others have said, you can use duct tape to patch any leaks in your exhaust setup. If possible, I believe shortening the hose run may also help.

Let me know if that helps!

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.