Smoke "sitting" and not moving out

I am a school librarian and use our Glowforge in the Makerspace. We have been using it many times this year to cut both wood and acrylic with no issues at all. However, today I was firing up a job on some draft wood and smoke started billowing out all over. By all over I mean the from and top of the machine. I have it vented to the Glowforge filter and it was on and turned all the way up. It appears as though the air is “sitting” and not being sucked out the back. I check the vent and there are no obstructions and the hose is a short run with no bends in it.

Any ideas of what it could be? I can’t have smoke leaking out in a school setting. :slight_smile:

1 Like

If the Compact Filter is turned up to maximum with no flow out the GF exhaust, it may be that the filter cartridge is full. If draftboard is a common material used, it can clog a filter in short order.

On other thing to check is that the air intake (under the right side of your GF) is not blocked or obstructed in any way. Likewise, the GF exhaust fan and grid.

Best of luck!

2 Likes

Is there an easy way to determine if the filter is full? I’ve had the machine for about 6 weeks and have maybe cut 25-30 projects.

I seem to recall that the instructions said if you’ve turned it up to maximum and are not getting proper airflow, it’s time to change.

1 Like

Wow. I can’t believe it would be full from such a few amount of jobs run.

Draftboard/MDF fills it up like 10x faster.

1 Like

At this rate I will need to replace the filter every 6 weeks. Might have to look at a venting option but I’m not sure my building/maintenance team is going to like to hear that. :slight_smile:

This. It’s probably the CF filter, but these are two very important ones to check that people seem to miss easily.

2 Likes

Thanks. I did check the air intake and there is nothing in the way or in the vents. As for the fan, there was a small amount of dust on it which I cleaned off. I ran a small job and the GF exhaust fan was blowing out which makes me think it’s the filter. Again, I just can’t believe it is full after so few cut jobs.

I see you already emailed us about this and we’re working on it there, so I’m going to close this topic.