Smokey house - filter doesn't run - need staff support please

Hi everyone. I just got my Glowforge and the expensive filter they sell yesterday. Got it set up, you can feel the air flow at the vents in the bottom of the filter when the Glowforge is running. The smoke does go out the vent into the hose and into the filter. However, there is still a lot of smoke both in the room and in the rest of the house.

When I turn on the filter, it does two beeps and nothing else. There is no air moving at all. There is only air movement through the filter when the Glowforge is running. I would think the filter should be running separately. Am I correct??

Any suggestions?

There definitely shouldn’t be smoke. The filter has a dial on the front - it should be set at 2ish - try turning it up

Also, verify that your hose is fully connected and doesn’t have any holes!

If you can possibly vent outside you’re going to want to - those filters (which are expensive as you noted) fill up relatively quickly. If you have to use the filter you’re going to want to figure out a pre-filter quickly and never cut draftboard

3 Likes

I suggest editing out your phone number and email address.

According to the compact filter manual, you should run your compact filter when the Glowforge is not printing. Take another look at the manual to make sure you have your settings correct.:

3 Likes

If you have only had the filter and glowforge one day I seriously doubt the filter is clogged. However, cutting a lot of draftboard will clog it fairly quickly and a new filter is $250.

I have a filter, but haven’t used it. In your browser, when you click the gear icon have you set the Air Filter Attached setting to On?

Where is the smoke coming from? If it is escaping from the front of your glowforge something in the exhaust is clogged or “clogged”. Having the Air Filter attached setting set to On and not turning on the fan in the air filter would do this.

If the smoke is escaping from the back of the glowforge or the top of the air filter, it could be a hose connection is not secure.

If the smoke is only coming out the bottom of your air filter something is wrong.

1 Like

FYI - When you replied by email your full name, phone number and email address appear in your post. While posting on this forum is restricted to people who have purchased a glowforge, anyone on the Internet can read it. So as long as that info is there bots that scrape the net for spammers can find it.

2 Likes

Please also make sure that you have toggled on the Use Compact Filter switch in the Glowforge User Interface. It’s under the Settings (gear) icon in the app.

As mentioned above, turn the dial to the right on the Filter until you hear a loud fan sound. And check to make sure that all the connections with the hose are air-tight. (Aluminum tape will seal them off if there is a leak around the connections.)

1 Like

Yes - it’s powered separately and has its own fan - the toggle that @jules mentions actually turns down the fan in the Glowforge

I just scanned through the manual and it doesn’t seem to mention the filter beeping in any way - that may be in indication of an issue - you may want to wait for a staff member to chime in if none of the other suggestions have helped.

Thank you for your suggestions and help!

Nothing I have done has changed it. The fan on the filter does not come on. It just does the two beeps and then nothing. The red power light is still on so the fuse does not need to be replaced.

Waiting for staff to start a dialog and will likely need to send it back.

Did you check the fuse? (There is a spare fuse included with the Compact Filters - I imagine you have one as well). How to find it is a bit tricky, but they discuss it in the User Manual at the back…

2 Likes

Thank you for the suggestion. However, I did check the fuse and it is good. The power light is still on as well.

Well, wait to hear what Support has to say then, nothing much else you can do. They’ll get you fixed up. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m so sorry to hear about the trouble with your new air filter. Thank you for your detailed report of what troubleshooting has already been performed. It sounds likely that this will need to be replaced. We are happy to send you a new filter as covered by your warranty.

The only other step I would recommend trying is rotating the knob all the way to the right.

​

With the unit powered on, try rotating the knob all the way to the “Full” side and see if the fan turns on.

Please let me know what you find. If you are still running into trouble, I will send over the next steps to receive your replacement.

1 Like

Hi.

As you suggested, I tried turning the knob all the way to the right and nothing happened.

Thanks,

Renonna

Thank you for confirming that information for us. Unfortunately, it looks like your unit is experiencing an issue that we can’t resolve remotely.

I want you to have a reliable unit, so I’m recommending we replace this one. I just reached out via email to sort out the details. I’m so sorry about the bad news.

1 Like