Smoking again and exhaust system is clear and shiny

I had a problem and cleaned everything I could reach. There is a lot of movement out the exhaust but not enough to have a negative pressure inside the Glowforge aparrently. I have cleaned everything I can reach butstill, this happens

It is the inside face of the grill that accumulates debris. You can stick a shopvac into the exhaust hole and clean the outside of the grill to shiny aluminum, but the build-up will remain on the inside face.
I use a small diameter ‘bottle’ brush to loosen the stuff, but a piece of wire with a little bend in the end will work also. I’m not saying you don’t have a fan issue, but 99.999% of the time it’s going to be face loading on the inside of the grill that restricts airflow.

6 Likes

Yup done that and another with bristles long enough to brush the fan itself, and still get what you see in the flic.

Fortunately that $650 blue monster can do 500 CFM and just keep the smoke in the room and even then not a long time.

1 Like

That link doesn’t work for me, neither one.

I don’t understand why you get any smoke with a massive booster like that.

1 Like

There massive booster just opens out to the room and is not directly tied to the Glowforge more than being in the same room.

1 Like

Thanks for writing. I’m glad you contacted us about this.

Even with proper filtration, small amounts of smoke and fumes can enter the air around your Glowforge, producing a detectable odor. You may also smell an odor when you open the Glowforge lid, even long after a print is complete. This is not harmful.

However, if you detect a strong, sharp smell that also causes eyes, nose, or throat irritation, or if there is visible smoke escaping while the lid is closed, shut off your Glowforge unit immediately. Smoke and fumes could be entering the room in excessive concentrations.

We’ve created an troubleshooting guide with illustrations. You can see it here: https://glowforge.com/support/topic/troubleshooting/print#excessive-smoke-or-fumes-during-print

If you’re still seeing or smelling excessive smoke or fumes when using Proofgrade materials, we’re here for you. Reply to this topic and include:

1. The name of the Proofgrade material you’re using
  2. A close-up photo of your Glowforge unit’s exhaust connection like this one