Snap-Fit Art Stands (or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Laserbeam)

I had an Art that I wanted to try engraving, but I knew I wanted it to stand on it’s own. I decided to go about in one particular way, started drawing it out, and ended up with something completely different.
So here is my first snap-fit project:

First draft, which I knew would never work: even if the fit is right and kerf doesn’t bite me, those tabs are just too dang small.

Used the mask as a stencil:

Mind blown: they snapped together on the first try.

Mind even blowner: I took them apart and put them back together, the little tabs didn’t snap off!

Scored and engraved version of the art on stand.
(this one may be worth looking at full size)

Scored and stenciled version of the art on stand.
IMG_9623

All together, with a large version of the art on canvas in the background.
FullSizeRender 3

(backstory: the art started as a photo, was hand-cut as an 8"x10" stencil, sprayed to canvas, and sold. 10 years later I found a photo of the canvas, and used Adobe Capture to vectorize it, combined the photo and the vector in photoshop, and printed it to the 25"x31" canvas in the last photo. That vector is what I started with this afternoon.) #process #NeverStopIterating

98 Likes

I like that easel design! (And the artwork of course.) :grinning:

8 Likes

While the art is great, my eyes glommed onto the clicky joints. There are so many cool ways to make joints that eliminate glue and I want to try all of them!

Good job.

9 Likes

The blue one in particular is stunning. And that stand is a great design!

5 Likes

He’s (@jbv) on :fire::fire::fire:!

10 Likes

Most excellent work there @jbv. Love the easle design!!!
That feeling of satisfaction when you realize the pieces fit is the best feeling in the world…lol. After 16 years, I still get that with new designs. :wink:

So, now that I see the artwork as a womans face (didnt realize what it was until I saw the large version behind them…) its really nice!
I first thought it was a graphic of the bottom half of Florida with some weird lines all around like wind shear or something to do with the hurricane…
Clearly I need more sleep.:unamused:

12 Likes

LOL! Me too!!! And I have to say it’s much more awesome as a face. I’m going to blame it on talking to my wife about her sister in Florida just before looking at this.

6 Likes

Looks great man. Very cool artwork! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Hey, it does kinda look like Florida. The Keys are a little wonky…

3 Likes

Fantastic! Love the snap fitting capabilities!

3 Likes

I didn’t see her face until the last photo either! Really nice job on these!

1 Like

I thought that was why people moved there…oh, you mean from a cartography point of view. My mistake.

It’s very had to see it as anything but a woman’s face once you see it.

3 Likes

Most of what I know about Forida I learned from Tim Dorsey. The rest I learned from Carl Hiaasen.

I may have a slightly skewed vision of that state. (I have never visited.)

1 Like

Daaaaamn, those look good.

1 Like

Never stop iterating, but learn to give yourself a pat on the back every now and then. You’ve done an excellent job!

7 Likes

I must be one of the odd persons here…I saw the face right away.

5 Likes

I’m odd too then :rofl:

3 Likes

I love this – especially the fact that you were able to recapture the artwork that left you years ago but in a whole new way… Never Stop Iterating indeed!

(I’m probably going to be saying “mind even blowner” from now on also. :rofl: That cracked me up.)

2 Likes

I too saw her face right away, but now I can’t stop myself from seeing Florida.

Reminds me of this photo…

2 Likes

I mean… cowboy. Or a weak attempt at a pheonix. Or an upside down crow. But 100% a cowboy.

These are the images I think of for that sort of thing:
4a28dc1d750fd4804a8ca15cc75ab746--chess-pieces-light-colors

8 Likes