So...is this article TRUE? Glowforge not shipping unitl Q2 2016 NOW?

So my assumption here was that you could type text directly into the glowforge application (like you can in easel for the x-carve). This would mean that it would be acting as some sort of editing suite, where in reality it looks like it might be for just arranging imported graphics made in other programs. This made me realize that I know even less about the glowforge software than I originally thought, haha.

Maybe I missed something. Have it been stated anywhere what the intended capabilities and/or scope of the glowforge application is going to be?

If it is only going to be for arranging what has been made in other software I could see some necessity for the API to be able to provide the images taken with the camera to whatever plugin is being used. This would allow for the user to use that image to properly edit and align whatever they are printing in this 3rd party software, then shoot it back over to the glowforge app for printing. Is this the workflow process you guys are shooting for @dan?

2 Likes

From what I have seen and heard from @dan, the interface is going to be akin to a print preview where you can scale, (rotate?) and drag the image around the material for placement, but my speculation is no other input to the image inside the app.

Thanks for the update Dan. GO TEAM!

As far as centering. I don’t think I need a snap feature but a simple ruler function would be great. Draw a line from here to here and it’s 3 inches. Do the same on the other side… etc. I know there might be some depth variance but as a comparator it would be great.

Or perhaps and overlay grid?

Just some thoughts… keep up the good work!

So I have read through all of that but… did the test units get shipped out? are they working ok? has feedback been good or bad? These few questions being answered would really help set my expectations.

as far as I understand from @Dan the beta’s have not been shipped yet: link to Dan

I expect the beta program is pretty locked down regarding publicizing operational results.
Besides fanning the flames of dissension across social media (negative advertising) the features that the forge brings are serious innovations, and providing competition with those results would effectively give them a leg up on the research they would need to perform in order to copy it.

There is a great book, “They Made America - from the Steam engine to the search engine” by Harold Evans, that chronicles major innovations in industry.
Without exception, the innovators spent a good portion of their fortunes and remaining lives defending against intellectual theft.
Look at the turmoil artists have to contend with regarding that.

The silence is by design, out of necessity.

1 Like

@dan
Thanks so much for posting this! I have done several etching projects by hand with my dremmel tool and am glad to see I can get the same result from the glowforge.

1 Like

@dan says that there are no “public” beta units… that doesn’t mean there are no private beta units out there being used and evaluated.
He still says that all preorders (ordered before Oct 25) will go out by the end of June…

1 Like

Dan,
this is really neat, but I was noticing the extensive use on the printer.
Is the cell structure below going to be offered on the website as a consumable? Or will there be a link to a location were we can get it or something similar? I anticipate using the heck out of the laser and may need one fairly quickly.

The support structure is made out of steel (Dan has said it is magnetic), so the laser will not be able to damage it. The only thing you will need to do to maintain it is to clean off the soot and residue from cutting stuff.

1 Like

The laser beds in my current lasers are made of aluminum. It will be nice to have steel and be able to use magnets to hold down lightweight materials like paper.

2 Likes

What kind do you currently have?

I have an Universal M-300 30wt and a Universal Versalaser 40wt. Both are 12" ×24" beds

2 Likes

They can take their time with me, currently we are living in a hotel with 5 kids because of a house fire last month… It will be at least another 3 months until our house is rebuilt…oh the joy. I was actually debating if I wanted the $4000 back because I know we could use it, however this is an amazing piece of equipment and I won’t have the money to pay for it again if I cancel… So at the risk of being unpopular take your time on Q1 guys lol

12 Likes

Oh gosh, so sorry this happened to you! Hopefully none were hurt.

You know, you can delay supplying shipping address when they ask for it, until it is appropriate for you to receive shipment.

3 Likes

So sorry! :hushed:
(ISP is down)

1 Like

I feel bad for your situation, but I did get a small laugh imagining you having the Glowforge sent to your hotel room.

4 Likes

Life happens, If I didn’t laugh I would cry, I am always happy to get a chuckle out of someone and that’s awesome info CYND11! I didn’t know I could delay shipping without losing my place.

3 Likes

Terrible luck.
Very good perspective. Laugh or cry are the choices…
He chose wisely.

2 Likes