So much better than a Cameo!

Wow. Custom doilies here we come!

3 Likes

This makes me happy indeed. I needed precisely this capability and it’s great to see this working so well already.

I did a laser-cut box years ago (fun fact, it was the first laser cut playing card box ever and was also the most expensive per-unit item the US Playing Card Co has ever produced) but the cost was way too high so I transitioned to using the Cameo to do simpler custom boxes. I always felt so limited by the detail the Cameo could produce and tore many a box in the process, so the GF is going to get an immediate workout doing stuff for my limited edition projects.

61 Likes

These are gorgeous.

Interesting that it was so expensive. Was the laser cutting for short run production? I assume you could make this cheaper/faster for large volume production with a die?

4 Likes

That box was done many years ago when lasering was a bit less common and yes it was a super limited item (only 90 were sold). Oddly enough, if you have a following of loyal customers and make something that limited, you can sell a deck of cards for $180 and people will buy them. :blush:

18 Likes

wow. I have to take care of 2.5 moderately sick patients for 24 hours in the hospital for that!

7 Likes

Ha, people that collect things can be crazy, that’s for sure (myself included!)

2 Likes

Yes!! Good Lord in Heaven I have spent collective weeks of my life doing that. UGH. But no more with the Glowforge at your disposal.

4 Likes

And no more sticky mat!

6 Likes

Looks like my cutters will be collecting dust soon…

5 Likes

We know youve been working on this for quite a while, and were so excited to have it! This opens up so many possibilities for me! Thank you!

5 Likes

I’ll still get use out of my drag cutter. I do vinyl decals that can’t be cut on the laser.

It will be interesting to try low power on HTV for T Shirts. I wonder how long etching that will take as compared to a cutter. Probably less time than the combined cut and weed of a standard cutter.

I’ll probably try to design graphics so that small hard to weed areas are etched out to avoid weeding, but try to score large areas that I can easily weed in order to save Laser time.

3 Likes

This is so exciting to me. I have a top of the line robocutter (Black Cat Cougar Pro) and it’s just not capable of work like this, which is much of what I bought it for. I did this piece a few years ago and it took close to a week’s worth of work to simplify the design and dial in the settings so it would come out, and I was still losing about three pieces for every one that didn’t tear.

I can’t WAIT to Forge paper pieces like this again.

33 Likes

that’s so cool. That’s not layered right? That’s one sheet of white?

2 Likes

It’s not until @henryhbk’s comment did I realize that it was not layered. I initially assumed it was a piece of blue and white paper in the background, and just the letters were cut out.

It’s so much more elaborate than that! It’s gorgeous!

4 Likes

Heh… Do I want to know what happened to the missing 0.5…? :fearful:

8 Likes

Yep–just one piece of white paper, cut out, with a blue sheet behind it.

14 Likes

Every time someone mentions HTV I have to post this cool product that I am dying to try: no-weed HTV for laser cutters.

5 Likes

I think you get a half patient when they’re faking symptoms and @henryhbk catches them?

2 Likes

Well, he does sometimes do trauma patients…so the sum of the missing parts might somedays equal 2.5 patients?

5 Likes

Lovely! Absolutely lovely! Nicely done!

1 Like