So much better than a Cameo!

Thanks for sharing!

I was thinking the same thing, and wondering why nobody else seemed to care enough to ask!

I only took care of half their problems? Or maybe I only half-cared? :grinning:

4 Likes

they have big dumpsters out back.

3 Likes

hahaha… I LOVE THIS!!.. I also have a Cameo and a Curio, love them! but looking forward to play the Glowforge!!! so may many many projects …

2 Likes

I sold my Pazzles Inspiration, really good machine; but nothing to do face to face with a laser, especially if that laser is a GlowForge!!!.
:smile:

2 Likes

Seriously, this is amazing work. I mean, I probably wouldn’t pay $180 for a deck of cards (my wife would kill me if I did), but these have made me tempted. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words! (I do have some more affordable options on my website, lol)

2 Likes

I was just looking at them, :grin:! If I was still playing deadlands (a RPG that uses a deck of cards) I would definitely buy a set.

Hi,
Just remember that adhesive sign vinyl is not safe to cut in any laser. It gives off fumes that can harm people and corrode the Glowforge very quickly.

Paper is OK, Heat Transfer material is generally OK.

2 Likes

That is why I will keep mine unless someone really needs a used cameo. May, not us it often now but if I need it for that tone use case…

I’ll still use mine a lot for vinyl signs and decals, but will want to laser a lot of cardstock for Christmas cards. My Glowforge is having a little trouble picking up the focus for very thin stuff flat on the bed. I ordered one of the Seklema mats that was discussed on the forum. That little bit of height should get it to focus. I did report it to support.

5 Likes

I’m thinking seriously about a Seklema, let us know how you like it.

3 Likes

There is going to be a run on them, and they will wonder why.

3 Likes

I’ll definitely post my experience with it. It’s not available on Amazon, so no idea how long it will take to get here. I just got a 12 x 12 mat.

I’m sure you’ve seen this post, which got me off the bubble to order one. That and the focus problem ive had on thins.

https://community.glowforge.com/t/paper-fun-with-seklema-mat/8917?u=bill_laba&source_topic_id=8906
4 Likes

This is fantastic!! No problems with the paper moving? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Not at all, but I did put a magnet on each corner to keep it in place, and the outer circle was cut out at the end, so that definitely helped. Some of the scraps moved around, but they mostly stayed in the general area they were cut from so it didn’t affect anything.

3 Likes

Your help tracking down this bug was very useful - we’re working on something that will make this better.

12 Likes

I didn’t realize they made laser-safe HTV! I’ll have to look into mine and see if it is laser safe - that opens up lots of fun new project ideas :grin:

Most of it is polyurethane, even though it’s commonly referred to as Heat Transfer Vinyl. Here’s a video from Stahls TV that shows cutting and engraving on a Universal laser using their material. I’m 99% sure Siser is the same, but can’t guarantee that all types of their product are the polyurethane. Designs need a little extra prep and the laser may not replace the Cameo for simple designs, but now complex designs that would kill your eyes when weeding should be possible using the Glowforge. Just need to set up your designs a little differently to make sure what you want removed is black. I’d do some closer trimming or reduce laser time also. Maybe use an offset around the outside of the design, instead of a big box like they show in the video.

15 Likes