So much smoke after deep cleaning

I need help! My machine has been starting to release more smoke than normal the past few weeks. So we did a deep clean for the fan in the back (it was really clogged) and we cleaned the other fans as well. Set it back up and now even more smoke is coming into the room causing the smoke alarms to go off. The lid is also not shut completely as well. We only vent it from the back directly out the window. I need help on what to do!!

1 Like

Doesn’t look like the front drop down door is completely closed there…you have to close that section first…and push it back all the way…and then you should be able to close the top lid.

It is off now and the lid is all the way closed and yes the bottom door is fully shut.

Has the lid always stuck up that high? It’s not seated.

Did you maybe turn the crumb tray around? Try taking out the crumb tray and see if you can close it.

1 Like

Any chance you’ve accidentally told it the filter is attached? (which would turn off the internal fan, like this pic)

1 Like

No just checked to make sure.

2 Likes

So it was only high while the laser was running. It is off now and not high at all.

You could always call for an assistant either a cheap Vivosun 190 cfm fan or some of the ~600 cfm 6" fans that can eliminate the need for your Glowforge exhaust fan and empty the room of smoke even when the Glowforge is not running,

2 Likes

When you cleaned the exhaust fan, did you check the grate behind it on the back of the machine? And did you check the length of the hose to make sure it has not gotten blocked?

One guy had a rat build a nest in the hose on the exterior…it blocked the air flow.

3 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear that you’re running into trouble. I’d be more than happy to assist.

To help troubleshoot your exhaust, could you send me a few photos of your exhaust system? Specifically, please include pictures of the following:

1. The exhaust fan from the inside of the unit. To capture this photo:

2. Turn your Glowforge off

3. Open the lid

4. Using both hands, gently pull the printer arm towards you as shown below:

5. Move your phone or camera inside the Glowforge on the left-hand side, past the metal rail, pointed away from you towards the exhaust hose, to capture a photo like the one below:

6. A photo of where your exhaust hose attaches to the Glowforge, where your exhaust hose exits the room, and the path your exhaust hose takes from your Glowforge to the exterior vent or Compact Filter

7. The exhaust connection on the back of your Glowforge, with the exhaust hose removed:

8. Any area where you see smoke escaping from your Glowforge while printing

Once we can review the images you post, we’ll send over the next best steps.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply! When we put the fan back in after cleaning it, we realized it was put in wrong on our end. It was blowing smoke in not out. An oops moment but glad it is fixed!! Thank you again

6 Likes

That’s great to hear you were able to resolve the issue with your exhaust. Thanks for letting us know!

I’m going to close this post, please start a new post if you have any more trouble.