Software differences between Basic and Pro models

Not really trying to cover for @dan on this one, but as far as the feed through capability I’m sure it all boils down to a simple registration mark which would keep the alignment to the previous etching/cutting in line with the following segment of material that is fed through the machine. So as long as the Glowforge can read and burn, this can always be a feature to be expected. I can see though, how this might tie into their Proofgrade material having printed registration marks on it, meaning for longer projects you may end up having to rely on their materials for that. Who knows…Maybe even Glowforge doesn’t know yet lol…

My excitement has long ago died off…now um just cautiously optimistic.

3 Likes

@s841431 I’m excited either way. Gonna be algebraic!

4 Likes

Hi Dan

I know this topic got derailed a bit, but can you give any feedback regarding the original question?

Oh - I must have missed that. The passthrough software won’t be available for Basic units. Off the top of my head that’s the only software difference I know of today. Of course, we could add software features to one model and not the other in the future - although we have no such plans right now.

This is indeed a Basic feature.

I don’t believe we ever talked about this in either Basic or Pro as a supported feature - if I’m incorrect and said otherwise, please let me know so I can correct it. It’s not a feature that’s planned at all at this time.

4 Likes

Hi Dan

Just feel a bit confused, and wonder how the function of passthrough cut/ engrave would be like or how it will be functioned. Could you give more clearer explanations. Cheers.

1 Like

This has come up a few times over the course of these forums.

http://community.glowforge.com/search?context=topic&context_id=3099&q=Unrolling&skip_context=true

The answer seems to basically be that this is not a feature (unrolling material and continuing a cut on basic model) that is planned. Though you did mention hopper in one reply. Their is also mention of this type of feature in the tested interview at about 9:15

http://www.tested.com/tech/543141-meet-glowforge-3d-laser-printer/

3 Likes

I think I probably have some misunderstanding from the GF tech-specs. It says that

“The passthrough lets you use long materials but requires additional safety precautions.”

“Passthrough slot allows the use of material that’s up to 1/4″ (6.3mm) high, up to 20” (50.8cm) wide, and as long as desired
Passthrough software uses the camera to maintain alignment as long material is pushed through”

Glowforge - the 3D laser printer

Thus, (:sweat_smile: feel a bit pity that English is not my first language.) Does the tech specifications tell us GF has the limitations to cut or engrave longer pieces of materials?

1 Like

Not at all! I appreciate your participation and wish I could communicate with you in the language you prefer.

The passthrough is a feature of the Pro glowforge, and that functionality (both software and hardware) is available on the Pro model.

That’s correct, then - please let me know if there’s anything else I said that’s confusing.

1 Like

@dan I was always under the impression that the Basic could take larger pieces of “soft” material and that you could un-roll it inside the laser and use the re-registration feature to align the material. You said it in the original video from Tested. https://youtu.be/0R3mMUsHFvU @9:05. Since I purchased my laser only like 2 days later that was really all the info I had to go on at the time. But now after hearing that it can’t do that, I did a search on the forums and it does seem like it’s something you didn’t have planned for in the basic, and it’s “in the hopper” which means it likely won’t be there at shipping time.

As someone who can’t check every thread on these forums everyday, this is a huge reason why we need better communication than just random posts on the forum. Although I must admit that I didn’t have many large projects other than a new belt and laptop bag; I was still looking forward for that option. I guess we could get into semantics and say that you never clarified in the video that it would only be on the pro models, but at the point that video was made, (1 1/2 years ago…time flies) I doubt you had any more reason for going more in-depth with just the basic prototype. I don’t think I can really blame you for me being confused since it has been on the forums for over a year that it will be “in the hopper”. I just hope that it will actually be an upcoming feature since I can see why you wouldn’t want to include it as it is one more way to differentiate your product lineup. One could say once you blur the lines a bit about the “registration” feature (even if it’s only for fabrics/ leather) that could deter people away from the pro model (just playing devils advocate here). I am still on the Glowforge bandwagon and I don’t plan on cancelling, I just wanted to share a good reason why clear communication is key. I have to admit that I am really bummed about not having that feature, and I am not in a financial position to upgrade to the pro model, but I’m hopefull that it will be an added feature.(Again, I hope this didn’t come across as an “angry” rant, alot of times when you post long things like this it can come across different than the person who wrote it intended. I am merely trying to add some consctructive criticism.)

6 Likes

I understand your frustration and I am so sorry we’re not going to have the feature you want. With regards to communication, our canonical “what we’re doing” list is ultimately our website - if it’s there, it’s in.

The particular clip you’re talking about was shot before the Glowforge product existed as such - quite a bit has changed since then I’m afraid.

1 Like

@haqnmaq Even when there is no special function for print part of design, un-roll, continue next part, un-roll, etc. you can still do it manually. Like splitting your design into several parts. Print first one, un-roll material and continue with next part with manual placement.

7 Likes

Yeah, That’s what I will have to do. It just might be kind of tough to line it up properly, and leather can get pretty pricey, especially if you make a mistake. It’s just a bit of an annoyance considering the “registration” feature is merely a software problem, and not one limited by the hardware, which means that the only reason to not include it in the “Basic” version is to get people to buy “Pro” model. I don’t know, I have never been a fan of companies that purposely cripple there hardware using software in able to differentiate there product lineup. The oscilloscope industry is notorious for this. In regards to glowforge, I believe that they still have enough features with the pro model that “enabling” this feature wouldn’t be a detriment to the rest of the product lineup. The oscilliscope industry just manufactures one device and sells it at 3 different price points(limiting the capabilities in the software), at least with the glowforge there are actual hardware limitations that would make you want to upgrade to the Pro model. So not enabling it on the basic model is just because they might not want to. The only hardware limitations I can think of would be that the rolled up part of the material could cause issues with the “homing” sequence and/or get in the way of the gantry. In that case, it wouldn’t even be an option. That may very well be the case, so that option could be taken “out of the hopper”, as there is no “safe” way to do it without the pass through slot.

1 Like

Absolutely untrue. I was incredibly happy to be able to see a Glowforge working. I got to see my design etched and cut, and the functionality of the trace. I was also glad to meet @dan and the others that were there and to talk a little bit about the machine. There were many, many people there that already ordered their GF, and many came just to see the GF in person.

Was it all truncated because they were extremely busy? Sure. Were the talks streamlined to appeal to the masses (those without the GF already)? Sure. That’s to be expected. But I know that watching @Shell design the puppy bracelet in Illustrator invigorated my wife to get better at Illustrator before our GF arrives!

8 Likes

Yes! I felt exactly the same … and FWIW, that’s saying a lot as I was sick and crabby, and not easily impressed that day.

5 Likes

What I would do for a belt, with no software assistance:

Make a simple jig (two flat panels with sides parallel, secured to the bed) so that the belt is always perfectly perpendicular to the side of the machine. Have your intended design in as many files as needed to stick with 15" sections of cut, if at all possible, break where all lines are parallel to the sides of the belt, or there is a gap in design which is allowed to be imprecisely sized. Make sure the cut file is in the proper size as designed so there is no need to re-size in the GF interface.

Lay out the belt, manually position initial cut on the belt, then roll/unroll to get next section. Load second cut and zoom WAY in, now align onto the first cut.

Not totally cheese easy, but also not insurmountable. I would not expect to have any errors with this approach at all.

You could make aligning a little bit easier still by including a straight line cut on the jig (and some cloth laid under the belt/on top of the jig so you can have registration marks move along with the belt when you reposition). Include one “notch” perpendicular to that straight line as the registration token for aligning the next cuts to. This gets you away from needing to worry about precisely where you split the cut files on the belt design, since you have the easiest possible registration off-material.

10 Likes

OT, but that made me flash on this video…

19 Likes

I don’t have enough likes for this! It looks like me trying to figure out feeds and speeds for my CNC.

5 Likes

Never seen someone get so mad at Cheese Wiz before.

Also that reminds me of this video:

6 Likes

I’m looking forward to the Announcement from you and your team this week. Unless I missed one, the last Announcement I saw was in July, and that thread has completely deteriorated and gone off-topic, much like this one is going.

Thanks for the reply. Like @haqnmaq I had the idea this feature would be available based on a comment made here. Although this was one of the ideas that sold me on the Glowforge I understand that it was made before much of the functionality was nailed down and may never eventuate - and in practice there are plenty of workarounds anyway.

I was mostly interested to know whether you plan to artificially limit the Basic features, and it’s nice to know that you don’t have any plans to do so :slight_smile:

1 Like