Software differences between Basic and Pro models

Well actually @dan said "I understand your frustration and I am so sorry we’re not going to have the feature you want. With regards to communication, our canonical “what we’re doing” list is ultimately our website - if it’s there, it’s in.

The particular clip you’re talking about was shot before the Glowforge product existed as such - quite a bit has changed since then I’m afraid." So they will in fact be limiting the features between the glowforge Basic and plus! Registration will not be in the software for the Basic which is disappointing. Especially since it is an artificial limitation and not one based on the hardware.

1 Like

"The passthrough is a feature of the Pro glowforge, and that functionality (both software and hardware) is available on the Pro model.

jbmanning5:
The answer seems to basically be that this is not a feature (unrolling material and continuing a cut on basic model) that is planned. Though you did mention hopper in one reply.
That’s correct, then - please let me know if there’s anything else I said that’s confusing." Technically it’s in the “hopper” but that’s a nice way of saying no I believe. Especially if it already works on the pro model.

Unrolling material may not be as simple as direct unlocking of the passthrough functions.

With the passthrough, the software decides where to stop cutting. Quite likely at the far edge of the available cut area.

With material rolling in a basic, you need to be able to define “Stop cutting/engraving at this specific line” in the software, because there is likely not enough room between the edge of cutting area and the case for your roll of additional material.

6 Likes

That means “we are thinking about it”. Some of those things we’re thinking about may never happen, and others may get done right after we ship. We’re not going to make promises beyond the core functionality we promised you, since doing so would compromise our ability to learn from your feedback in the future and do the right thing based on what we learn.

Correct - it is not, for the reason @jacobturner gave among others.

10 Likes