Solder station tray

I need to keep the bare essentials in one place, so I don’t have to hunt flux or the .025" solder every time I need to solder something.
I whipped this out while getting beat down by a feeder band from Ida.

Like so much of my stuff, not particularly pretty but will do exactly what I want it to do.

41 Likes

Love a bespoke piece of kit. Fits the job perfect every time!

7 Likes

Just my opinion … but, if it works … it’s very pretty!

6 Likes

Pretty sharp idea! (My stuff is scattered among drawers, and as such, takes at least an hour to solder something. There is first the “Got to Find Everything” treasure hunt.) :neutral_face:

10 Likes

Make this configuration again and sell it. I will purchase it!

5 Likes

I agree that there is a certain beautifully to function but I know there are folk here that would have painted it where it would be functional art.

3 Likes

Nice piece of organization there Mark. :sunglasses:

That “Remove Before…” got my attention, Same flag on safety pins used on aircraft, Remove Before Flight. I hadn’t seen one in over 4 decades.

5 Likes

This is precisely why I did mine. I never know when or where I will need to solder something and I got tired of rounding stuff up.

3 Likes

It is - the art of fabrication.

1 Like

Don’t you want one that fits what you have exactly? Whip out your favorite vector program and whip one out.
As is my MO I did this in Fusion 360 but Inkscape or AI would work fine. And if you start and end up scratching your head I can probably help.

4 Likes

I am referring to the big silver colored configuration on the left. As for designing I would not even know where to begin.

Later on I will take a picture of what I use when I solder. You are gonna roll over laughing so hard it will cause your oxygen level to drop.

3 Likes

Oh, that is a commercial vice known as a “Panavice” , not exactly cheap but will last a lifetime. I added the tentacles.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=panavise&crid=2S6LHSECCOU85&sprefix=panav%2Caps%2C206&ref=nb_sb_ss_ab-sx-largepack_1_5
Looking that up reminds me since I have the base and base plate I totally should get one or two more heads.

Meh, that is often where the hang is. get your stuff together and we’ll get it done. It’s not like you don’t have a) no skills, you do, and b) it’s not like you don’t have a super helpful community to push you over the bumps.

I need that every so often so it would be appreciated.

6 Likes

Apparently I am illiterate because I have no idea what that sentence means :slightly_frowning_face:

3 Likes

Probably not my best literary work.

I designed and made this while heavy rain from the outer bands of hurricane Ida made doing anything outside undoable.

5 Likes

Wow, that one went right over my head. I guess if I was anywhere near that hurricane it would have certainly come to me.

3 Likes

Yeah, “feeder band” is just normal vocabulary when you live in hurricane areas.

3 Likes

He’s getting the poop beat out of him by a bank of storm clouds being spun around by the hurricane.

3 Likes

I had never heard the term before. Squirreled away up here in BC all we have to worry about is the inevitable “big one”. Hopefully though, not in my life time.

2 Likes

I’ve had this one since 1989, when a crew chief made it for me. It was a pitot tube cover, and was considered worn enough to dispose of; he found a better use for it.

6 Likes

Same here in Oregon

1 Like