Some cuts and scores are wavy

The engraves appears to be ok, just the cuts and scores as you say. Very weird.

2 Likes

Need to see the file for any further evaluation. It’s going to be a process of elimination.

1 Like

Oh wow. Y’all responded so quickly! Thanks and so sorry for the delay :slight_smile:

Check your belts and rails for any debris-- that’s the easiest potential fix.

You can also turn off your machine and gently move the gantry forward and back, and the head from side to side, and see if you feel any bumps or resistance that might clue you (and Support) in on where to look for the issue.

Well, I think this is it. For starters, the left belt is a lot looser than the right. But I think you pointed me to the main culprit that explains all of the issues I’ve had since I got this machine. One of the two black wheels behind the laser head (that rolls along the extrusion - I think a v-wheel?) is cracked, so it gets hung up as it’s getting pushed further from the extrusion and then snaps back when it passes the crack. I’m not sure how well you can see it, but here’s a video: https://drive.google.com/open?id=12fwcz6BLerSQ65VT8uSmGsujDlW1H27P

Are you willing to post your art here (just the score lines are needed)? If it’s not in your art it looks like …exactly what @geek2nurse just posted so I’mma gonna stop typing here :slight_smile:

It’s looking like it’s a physical issue, but I’ve attached the SVG that I uploaded to the GFUI just in case.

The engraves appears to be ok, just the cuts and scores as you say. Very weird.

With what I shared above, I think maybe it’s because the engrave was small enough that it was able to move back and forth without hitting the crack in the wheel. Does that sound right?

Need to see the file for any further evaluation. It’s going to be a process of elimination.

Attached!

aztec calender|690x487

2 Likes

So, the next question is, where do I get one of these wheels and are there instructions for changing it out?

Support will arrange for a replacement carriage plate when they see your post. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Good deal. Thanks!

I’ll wait for support to chime in, but it looks like this is what I need to do with the loose belt: Gear and/or belt slippage?

I’m so relieved. I’ve been driving myself crazy, thinking that I was doing something wrong with settings, material, or software. I guess this gives me time to spend learning more on the software side :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Yep! That’s it! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I wish everyone had your sunny outlook on things! I hope your part arrives in record time!

5 Likes

Haha, thanks! Maybe I’m finally learning to be patient. I’ve wanted a laser cutter for years (thus trying to replicate the Epilog sample that I got at a woodturning show several years ago) and I knew it would take time to get good at it and learn vector design. I’m just so glad to know why I’ve had so many confusing issues! I’ve been going in circles, with occasionally awesome results mixed with seemingly random problems like this. I’m excited to see what I can do after it’s fixed.

Did you print that vertically as shown, or horizontally (rotated 90º in the UI)?

1 Like

Just for comparison, I ran this print both ways on some scrap - used score instead of cut for the outline. Engraves are 125lpi, they weren’t important for this test. Here are the results - there’s definitely something going on mechanically with your machine.

1 Like

It was vertical. Thanks for testing that! It’s pretty clear that the wheel is causing the issue. I see the laser head move out and in, just like the jumps in my cuts.

1 Like

Did you make those key caps?

No problem. I hope support can get this taken care of quickly.

1 Like

No… cheap overlay that came with my latest laptop cover (which is wood grain). They are usually obtrusive but this is the first one I’ve gotten that’s not.

1 Like

Awesome. I might have to get one of those.

I’m so sorry to hear that you’ve hit this snag!

It seems you got some great advice from everyone here about this. Thank you, everyone, for helping! Like @Jules mentioned it is the carriage plate that is causing this issue. I will need a bit of information Emailed into us so we can get this part shipped to you.

Could you please email us your Shipping Address and Phone number? You can send that email to support@glowforge.com and when we get it we will finish up the process there.

2 Likes

I sent that information via e-mail. Thanks!

Thank you for sending us your shipping information. I have just replied there with an update on the status of your replacement part.

We are going to keep working on this there, so I’m going to close this thread.

1 Like