Some Deck Boxes

Here are a couple of Deck Box prototypes I have been playing with. The basic boxes are al generated from MakerCase and then painted using the method I previously used for canvases.

The drawer is just a slightly modified open box from MakerCase.

The boxes are designed to be wraparound like so:

The original plywood for the box was painted like this:

Then painted with a coat of clear (to protect the colors) and a coat of black before cutting and etching.

34 Likes

The geometrics are cool too - but that painted one looks amazing!

3 Likes

Thanks @deirdrebeth They are all actually painted. I just laser away the black top layer, and reveal the color beneath. The image on that one is from the game No Man’s Sky. You could use any image you want. The others were just SVG patterns (mostly from Etsy). Photos in particular look really neat, and given that spray paint can be a little random, I am never 100% sure what I will get when I engrave away the black.

8 Likes

Yeah, should’a said “scenic” one :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’ve tried your technique and spent a day trying to get it to work for me - complete failure.

Whatever you are doing works so well and looks brilliant.

4 Likes

That is the coolest technique! Love these examples.

3 Likes

Great transference of technique from one medium to another. I am inspired!

3 Likes

Nicely done!

2 Likes

Love the look of these. Nicely done! I

1 Like

The boxes, engraves, and painting all look fabulous. There are going to be some pretty stoked deck box owners soon.

3 Likes

Looks nice! Have you tried boxes.py for boxes btw? https://www.festi.info/boxes.py/ looking at maker case it doesn’t seem to be quite as nicely featured as the festi one.