Something (a little) different!

The last shipment I’m waiting for was SUPPOSED to arrive today, but now isn’t coming until Monday.

There was a little piece of that driveway trough left over, and I have a Glowforge, so…

Galactic map, anyone?

With some automotive edging for a change, some details courtesy of my Glowforge

And creative use of a broken sink sprayer (with the genius inspiration that, hey… there are LIGHTS right behind there!)

It still needs some work. Greeblies, end caps, a bottom… But I thought it was coming along well enough to post.

Here’s a less moody shot that shows a little more detail:

44 Likes

so many interesting parts, I can’t wait to see the final assembly.

4 Likes

What method did you use to add colors to your map? (Acrylic paint, inset color acrylic, alcohol inks, etc.)

Love it! You have been so creative with these!

3 Likes

Believe it or not, that’s just colored sharpie on the engraved back side, any excess can be removed with a q-tip and a little acetone.

5 Likes

That is what I was assuming after thinking about it for a little longer. Sharpies are alcohol inks and work really well!

It really turned out beautiful! I think I am going to try that the next time I engrave for lighting again!

4 Likes

That is so totally awesome! I absolutely love it!

4 Likes

That is really cool! A very fun scifi display.

1 Like

I had a brainstorm earlier… Since there’s already light bouncing around INSIDE the base for that “map”, and I DID need to make some kind of end caps for it…

The only problem is that now I kinda want to rip the whole wall apart and add lights to everything!

(Though, everything IS put together with screws, so - MAYBE this summer.) Anyway:

Now to dirty this thing up…

10 Likes
1 Like