Something fishy here

Got inspired by this article about elliptical boxes… not my file but downloaded from the site. Material is 1/8" BB masked both sides with TransferRite Ultra 592U High Tack Transfer Tape and burnished really well with a Cricut XL scraper. Finished with a light coat of Krylon clear matte spray. I’m loving the results! Now to start playing around in Inkscape with the plugin to create my own stuff!

57 Likes

This an absolutely wonderful project. I got the extension. Thank you…

3 Likes

Really nicely done. The FinISH has such a clean look!

2 Likes

Thanks! The TransferRite 592U stuck really well and did a really nice job keeping the char off the wood surface. I get the best results when I burnish it down really well prior to lazing the piece.

2 Likes

LOVE the fish design!

1 Like

fish looks great!

the burnishing is an underrated step for putting on your own masking. it helps with the smoke, but there can also be some flashing on the top if there are air bubbles in the tape.

2 Likes

Very nice! :grinning:

1 Like

I love the little fish lips! I wonder if there is a hinge pattern that looks similar to the fish scales? The hamsa looks beautiful, too.

What are the test swatches on the left? They look so organized! I think I need to level up my ransom scratch of paper with numbers scribbled all over the place and crossed out. Lol.

5 Likes

Yes, love the swatch, I need to make one!

3 Likes

Me too - I need a swatch… anyone have a file that they are willing to donate to me… hahaha

1 Like

https://community.glowforge.com/t/testing-for-settings/9023/19

4 Likes

Wondering what size transfer tape you prefer. I was thinking of getting the 12" to be able to cover an entire 12 X 20 but then thought maybe if I was doing smaller pieces that a narrower tape would be better?

Any insight on what would be the most flexible?

I purchased the 12" roll since I typically use 12"x12" pieces of BB ply… that works best for me, YMMV of course! I also have a 6" roll for smaller work pieces, so go for what works for you!

1 Like

:squee::squee::squee:

i use the 12" roll. remember, you can always make narrower strips in 12" lengths. so you can do 3X12. and even then, you can cut it in half and press the other half back on the roll.

2 Likes

I got the “EnduraMASK MHT 130 Medium-High Tack Transfer Tape - 12 in x 100 yds” and I find that it tends to let go at the edges where the laser has hit (on BB Ply, non-Proofgrade). I wonder if I need to burnish more or if that is the nature of this grip strength. …or perhaps the TransferRite Ultra is better? Any ideas?

medium tack is tricky on porous surfaces like wood, it works best on smooth surfaces. High Tack will serve you better on unfinished wood, but cleaning and burnishing are very important. If you sand and finish the wood, or paint it with acrylic/enamels, the medium tack will probably work ok.
Endura is a store brand, and is most likely manufactured by either TransferRite or R.Tape (well… at least, that’s what the R.Tape rep told me)

1 Like