Sonic screwdriver display case

My collection of sonic screwdrivers had outgrown the shadow box I’d originally bought to house them in, so I decided to make a larger, thematically appropriate display case for them. (If you’re asking, “What the heck is a ‘sonic screwdriver’?” or, “Why does the display case say ‘POLICE BOX’?”, it’s a nerdy science fiction thing.)

Since it was both a reasonably complex “box” and one that was substantially larger than my GF Basic could handle, I modeled it in three dimensions using Blender, broke it up into pieces of an appropriate size, and exported the profiles of the various pieces as SVG files.

The case is made out of MDF, wood, and acrylic, all cut and/or engraved on my GlowForge; the “glass” in the door is polycarbonate (cut by hand), and the door handle is 3D-printed.

(I made five of the screwdrivers; the rest were commercially purchased.)

84 Likes

Love this!

2 Likes

This made me sit up in my chair and begin to drool! Great design and a Great collection! I wish you had included a straight shot of the display and it’s contents, so I could drool some more. Lol.

6 Likes

Too funny. My step son saw a picture of this somewhere yesterday and asked if I would build him one.

It’s a beautiful project.

7 Likes

I love all the added depth that the 3-D elements give this – although I feel that there needs to be a bit of “Bad Wolf” graffiti snuck on the side :heart_eyes_cat::heart_eyes_cat::heart_eyes_cat:

6 Likes

Talk about a strong shibboleth. You can weed out all kinds of people right there :slight_smile:
Very well executed, nice job.

5 Likes

Also love that you included the screwdriver, screwdriver version. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

OMGosh!! This is fabulous!!

2 Likes

Long live The Doctor!

2 Likes

I recognize the Star Trek prop on top of the bookcase - but…

2 Likes

This is brilliant.

4 Likes

I took it from off-center because my reflection was way too visible in a full-on shot. But here’s the contents:

18 Likes

oooooh, pretty… Thank you! The case looks like it is lit, within. Is it?

2 Likes

So i have no idea what it is…but it turned out amazing!

3 Likes

The case looks like it is lit, within. Is it?

It is, yes! I got a couple of LED strip lighting kits from the local big-box hardware store; each one contained four one-foot segments plus connector cables, but the transformer’s rated for five segments. Which was perfect for putting two segments down each side, plus one behind the sign.

(It’s got a little remote control for changing the colors, so I built a little pocket in the side of the base to stow it.)

6 Likes

5 Likes

Fantastic work!!

2 Likes

That is so cool!

2 Likes

So Blender can export to SVG? That is good to know.

3 Likes

ok so just asking to try to understand more, I"m not into Dr. Who.
So this is a fictional item?

4 Likes