Soprano Ukulele Build

Has been fun getting Maximilian involved.

1 Like

Created the pattern from scratch. Used a few traditional blueprints I found online to help me get started.

Got the idea for the project as Maximilian will be learning the Ukulele in grade 3 this coming fall. So we decided to make one, and try to learn a little bit before school starts. No one here plays yet, so let’s see how we go.

6 Likes

Outstanding! Looking forward to hearing how Maximilian progresses. Please share some videos down the road.

1 Like

Body and neck assembled
Body and neck are all glued up. Really starting to look like a legitimate ukulele.

The body had a slot for the neck to fit into, mortise and tenon style. Perfect fit 1st go, love lasers!

Sorry no video of this process.

13 Likes

Great progress!

2 Likes

Best… instrument… ever… Oh oh oh make my wall mount!!!

5 Likes

Thank you everyone for all the feedback and encouragement.

Made some great progress since my 1st update in August, dare I say we are almost done now.

Step 7 - Staining the fretboard and body

Step 8 - Cutting the fret wire

Step 8a - Inserting the fret wire into the fretboard

Step 8b - Filing off the fret wire ends

Step 9 - Attaching the fretboard to the neck

More to come
Hopefully we’ll have some more time this coming weekend to finish up installing the tuners, seating the nut and saddle, and finally adding the strings.

8 Likes

Cheee hoooo!! Looking awesome!

1 Like

Great progress.

1 Like

That’s next-level! Amazing work.

5 Likes

Any chance you would share your patterns? I would love to build this with my daughters

Thanks,
Brian

Gentle reminder that Forum rules do not allow us to ask for files. If a designer wishes to share their files, they post them in the Free Files section. If they sell files, they link to their sales page.

2 Likes

What a great project. Looking forward to seeing and hearing the finished product.

2 Likes

That’s fascinating. Thanks for showing your progress. I look forward to hearing the instrument.

3 Likes

Here we go.! Last couple of steps, and the big reveal…

Ukulele Build - Step 10 - Painted and bridge glued on. Almost done!

Ukulele Build - Step 11 - Installing the tuners. So close now!

Ukulele Build - Step 12 - Installing the strings. Done!

The Ukulele Max and Dad Built…

That’s it for now…
Next step is Max and I need to learn to play the Ukulele!

I do plan to work on a second ukulele. Take all the learning from making this one, refine the design and build. Also add some decorations to make the ukulele a little more unique.

Thank you everyone for watching. This has been a fun project.

11 Likes

Fabulous! Great work.

2 Likes

Congratulations!!! You have been awarded the Glowforge community post of the month!!!

Truly fantastic.

3 Likes

Great job! Congrats on finishing it! (Sounds good too!) :grinning:

2 Likes

Well done you two. I can’t wait to hear Max’s first recital.

2 Likes

my bad, new user, apologies

1 Like