Speculation on the Expansion Port

Either way, you’re going to run into a power constraint somewhere. Some engineer type (we have 1 or 2 here) could probably figure out if the power source (30w running to head) could be capable of heating a bed to the required temp (specific heat capacity?) and still running some sort of tool on the head.

1 Like

Thinking of my use case: flat bed printers can do the work on wood. I’d like to engrave prints for dimension. But you’ll need to refill what has been carved in most cases (or mine, at least). So my workflow would be to probably have the work printed on wood, load that print file into Photoshop and create my engrave areas. From there, I could use another layer that would isolate those engraved areas so I could lay color back in the engraved areas (minimizing how much ink I need to use). Color matching/profiles may be a bit of a concern but worth experimenting with.

2 Likes

30W isnt going to cut it for a hotend. They can peak at around 175W, and the bed will use around 120W. If theyre heating at the same time thats gonna be about 10x as much as that head connector can handle

5 Likes

I never jumped into the 3d printer market, though looked a few times. Our lasers will only be 40/45w concentrated into a very tiny area; 30w spread over a large area doesn’t go very far.

All of this being said and being a neophyte to 3d printing, aren’t their filaments that do not require a heated bed for stability?

1 Like

yeah, PLA and a few others will work without a heated bed. Its much easier with though. The 30W limit is the deal breaker for the 3d printing function though. The hotend will never get hot enough to melt material effectively unless theyre using really thin filament. Even then I dont know if itd work

1 Like

If the GF is anything like my CCL, that 30W figure has nothing to do with the power available to the GF. Its 30W is the output of milliamps at very high voltage, voltages that are completely unusable for anything like a standard 3D printer. I’m certain the GF contains two power supplies, or a very sophisticated single unit, providing the high voltage needed by the laser and the 3.3/5/12/24/48?? volts needed by the control board, stepper motors, cameras, etc.

2 Likes

How does power get to the Glowforge filter? is that completely separate?

And could the filter be replaced with something more helpful with sawdust for CNC somehow?

It has a separate cord to outlet.

How 'bout a holograph printing laser and setup. Probably a diode laser, I guess. Replace the crumb tray with a tray to put the object to capture in and bounce the laser around and hold the Proofgrade™ hologram printing media.

Honestly, first use case that came to mind was forging IDs. I’d never. Just spitballin’.

5 Likes

A fabric, and vinyl, cutter that could cut through a few layers of 5 mil neoprene (both sides with nylon) would be good for me. Otherwise, just make a great, reliable, accurate GF please.

2 Likes

While I don’t think it would make a good 3D printer, 30W is plenty for heating a hot end. I have a house full of 3D printers that use 21W or 25W. I have no idea where you get 175W peak from. The most I have seen is 40W heater cartridges but that is usually too much.

That doesn’t include the extruder motor but that doesn’t need to be mounted on the head. You would need a small Z motor in place of the lens motor.

No they said there is 30W available at the head for expansion. The high voltage goes to the tube, not to the head, so the 30W must be at a lower voltage.

4 Likes

OK, I stand corrected, must have missed that little nugget.

1 Like

I would like to see an expansion for this. Seems like it may just need a pen holder as far as hardware goes.

27 Likes

That…is insane. Especially with how it near-perfectly recreated hot metal type fonts. :astonished:

Want!!

6 Likes

I love that idea, and like you said, not sure how much it would take… :smile: I had thought about it, but to be honest I didn’t realize until that video just how versatile that option could be. sweet.

1 Like

Ooooo, I want one! I almost said my Brother Scan-n-Cut or my Roland Gx24 will do that, then I saw the fountain pen. And the fact it looks so portable. Off to check into it, thanks!

Oh wow, that is so cool!

1 Like

This would be anice easy first addition with that removable head. Of course I wouldn’t want you thinking of that until after you’ve shipped our Glowforgesite :innocent:

3 Likes

Uh… @martinell.jan have you seen this?!?

2 Likes

Spectacular!!!

1 Like