Speculation on the Expansion Port

@chadmart1076, @martinell.jan

Are you two sitting right next to each other as you are sending these messages? Cause that would be hilarious! :laughing:

5 Likes

HA! Often times we are!! Right across from each other both on laptops :wink:

5 Likes

Oh, I like that! On the future tool list.

But right now? No. Iā€™m at work, (leaving for home now though!, see you in 60 my love!)

4 Likes

Why would you want a 3D printer inside your laser engraver where thereā€™s a 2" max Z axis? Pointless. Same as adding a CNC attachmentā€¦or some sort of a ink head.

We need the product that was showcased to us when we initially supported this campaign. That should remain the focus. Please, stop with the cheerleading.

2 Likes

@dan has already said the focus on new heads will only be looked at once the main product has been shipped. It may not be of interest to you, but others (including myself) see value in alternatives.

For me the opportunity to use a pen (eg paint pen like a Posca) to add colour to a design seems like a great idea. I see no issue with speculation/wishesā€¦ I do agree a 3D printer head seems of less benefit with limited z height (but that may be to be overcome).

4 Likes

The very fact itā€™s been discussed shows that it has indeed garnered some focus from the team, not to mention Dan is on here reading and commenting on this very topic.

Just to be clearā€¦I placed my order, gave my support, for a laser engraver/cutter with some new innovative software featuresā€¦thatā€™s what I want. Nothing more, nothing less. I shouldnā€™t have to wait any extended amount of time for some scope creep feature to be tweaked and optimized.

The AxiDraw is pretty cool but almost $500?! That seems like too much. The blue servo on the tool head looks like something I use in a model airplane, and it costs about $3.

I am having a hard time thinking of things that Iā€™d want in place of the laser head. I can easily see them offering a ā€œdeluxeā€ head with another axis of movement so you could do undercutsā€¦ That would be a worthy upgrade.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s the nature of innovation. I know this sounds like sarcasm but I mean it honestly - if you think you can do it for cheaper you should, because thereā€™s probably a market for it. Theyā€™re charging $500 because thereā€™s not a lot like it out there.

Iirc makeblock sells a kit that can do something similar but it isnā€™t as nice. Additionally I bought a plotter kit from them that has been a nightmare to get working so I donā€™t generally recommend their stuff, but some people might have better luck.

2 Likes

The nature of innovation is also that the first sellers get to price based on what itā€™s worth to the customer (revenue or happiness) versus based on what it costs to make.

2 Likes

absosmurfly

3 Likes

Just thought of another potentially useful Expansion option: Glue Head.

Use case: Imagine cutting a large number of small items out of one sheet, for example:

In this instance a second layer has to be glued to hold the safety pin, so leaving the cut pieces in place, the Glue Head could be programmed to add glue in the appropriate places.

Another use might be for adding glue to a complex paper cut-out for layering on a second complete sheet for support/colour contrast.

Elmers have a number of glue pens. The action to use might be more a dabbing (up/down), rather than drawing like an ink pen.

10 Likes

It would be really useful for making pop-up greeting cards.

3 Likes

I like this idea!
We use automated adhesive dispensers at work a lot. We need to control the location and volume that we use. They usually are either pneumatic or auger driven.

I could see a head that uses cartridges of adhesive with an auger to drive it! Then you could change out the type of adhesive you use. Hmmm, silver filled epoxy to make electrical connections?

3 Likes

Really low-viscosity glues so you donā€™t move things? spray glues?

Question Solder head for circuit boards. That with a dremel for the vias and you are set.

5 Likes

so if we lined up 4 pros slot to slot we could etch off traces, dremel mounts, pick and place items, hit the solder head and then receive complete circuits out the back?

10 Likes

I see that laser reflow of surface-mount solder is a thing.

1 Like

I like the printer aspect if it was in regards to a direct-to-garment tool for custom clothing. Having the glowforge cameras would be ideal to ensure the graphic ends up exactly where you want it on the article.

4 Likes

Pick and place add-on? 3D scanner? Pen plotter? Large format inkjet printer?

3 Likes