Spice Rack Carousel

There was a recent post on the Facebook Glowforge forum discussing a Ferris Wheel type of spice rack which inspired me to design this.

I wanted one that would accommodate the large McCormick bottles, which are a little over 5" tall. No complicated gears please, just gravity to position the shelves. And, most importantly, no finger joints. Tabs for positioning/alignment, but bolts and captive nuts for the joinery. I really like that technique.

As I was getting it assembled and trying it out with actual spices from the pantry, I realized that it would always want to rotate so that the heaviest shelf was at the bottom. That whole gravity thing. I needed it to have discrete “stops” so that it would hold a particular position.

So, I redesigned it to incorporate magnets at each shelf and one in the base. Solved. It now will hold its position even if a heavier shelf is above it.

A fun project and my wife likes it enough that she says it can be her Christmas present. That’s a win!

76 Likes

That’s really cool! Nice way to fit lots of spice containers in a small space.

5 Likes

I’m totally impressed with how you worked out all the potential issues and came up with a very successful design. I bet your wife is happy!

7 Likes

Ingenious! The magnet idea was inspired.

7 Likes

Cool! I agree, the magnets are a perfect solution!

4 Likes

The magnets are such a great idea, and this could so easily be used for all sorts of things besides spices. Paints, earring supplies, beads etc., etc. Also, it could be a mega sized ferris wheel for lego people.

9 Likes

Nice job!

2 Likes

I’ll admit, I was cooing about the spice rack on FB, but this is cool too. And yes, it has infinite opportunity for use!

3 Likes

So cool! I wonder if it’d work hanging underneath the cabinet?

4 Likes

Organizing projects are always a big hit here! Feel free to include a link to your design if you are selling it anywhere.

5 Likes

I like the way you think!

3 Likes

Hmm, I’ll have to clamp it to something upside down and see if that makes any difference. I’ll let yo know.

2 Likes

That’s so kind of you to suggest. I’m not very organized along those lines, so I don’t have anything like that set up at the moment. Perhaps I need to give it some thought.

2 Likes

Tried the upside-down approach, and it works just fine!

14 Likes

Now it’s even more cool! So many uses for it; glue, little bottles of paint/ink, nails, glitter etc. and if you remove some of the separators, paintbrushes, pens…

2 Likes

Is there a link this is available for purchase at? Forgive me if it’s right in front of my nose and I’m missing it…
Thank you!

1 Like

Using magnets is clever. Great design and end result.

2 Likes

Not yet, but I’m working on it. @cynd11 was kind enough to put the idea into my head. I’m setting up an Etsy storefront to post it and it will probably take me a few days to sort things out.

4 Likes

I raided our supply of spices this morning to try a test of it fully loaded.

There’s certainly more inertia for the magnetic stops to arrest, but they seem to work well.

6 Likes

May I ask? What did you design this in? looks familiar…